Federal incentives

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Federal incentives

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:02 am
Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

This question is already discussed, but doesnt answer my question.

OA - B Doesnt it give a run-on sentence at the end [and there is]?

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 am
A,C, D & E are awkward

A. the vacancy rates are high, not the structures

C. structures with no demand for construction-awkward. demand for x is ebtter

D. -ditto-

E. structures that are exceptionally high- incorrectly modifies the structures instead of the rates.

B is not run on: federal incentives encourage x, eventhough vacancy rates are high and there is no demand for y.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:57 am
scoobydooby wrote:B is not run on: federal incentives encourage x, eventhough vacancy rates are high and there is no demand for y.
shouldnt '...are high AND there is....' be '...are high, AND there is....'? Looks like am missing something, pls clarify. Tx.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Beat-D-GMAT » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:47 pm
HI.

I also go for B.

Federal incentives now encourage ..it should be followed by noun. Capital investment is very much clear.
If you look for it you have only 2 choice B and E. In E

capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

It distort the meaning as vacancy rate is high not structures are very high. so it can be eliminated.

So answer choice is B.

I hope this will help.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Beat-D-GMAT wrote:HI.

I also go for B.

Federal incentives now encourage ..it should be followed by noun. Capital investment is very much clear.
If you look for it you have only 2 choice B and E. In E

capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

It distort the meaning as vacancy rate is high not structures are very high. so it can be eliminated.

So answer choice is B.

I hope this will help.
After eliminating other choices I boiled down to B. But B seems questionable as it looks like B gives a run on sentence.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 am
doesn't C use the proper Idiom encourage X to Y ??
/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:41 pm
crackgmat007 wrote:shouldnt '...are high AND there is....' be '...are high, AND there is....'? Looks like am missing something, pls clarify. Tx.
it seems that your issue is that you think there should be a comma in that part. (correct me if i've misinterpreted)

nope.

in fact, you CAN'T put a comma here, since a comma would create ambiguity, and would in fact suggest the wrong primary interpretation.

let me explain.

the structure of the sentence is "X, even though (Y and Z)".
in other words. "Y" (high vacancy rates) and "Z" (no demand) are BOTH counter to "X".
with NO COMMA between Y and Z, this structure is reinforced.

if you had a comma, you'd have
"X, even though Y, and Z".
this is most likely to be read as
"(X, even though Y), and Z"
in other words, Y runs counter to X, but Z reinforces X. that's not good.

hope this helps (and that it doesn't look too much like an algebra post)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:44 pm
kaulnikhil wrote:doesn't C use the proper Idiom encourage X to Y ??
/
2 kinds of wrong in this post.

(1) idioms don't always have just 1 form.
this is a crucial realization: just because form X of some idiom is correct, you CAN'T conclude that form Y of the same idiom is wrong.

you can encourage PERSON to VERB.
you can also encourage ACTIVITY. (you can encourage, say, introspection ... or capital investment)

--

(2)
choice (c) is idiomatically incorrect, anyway.
if you say "encourage X to Y", then X has to be a PERSON (or maybe an animal).
as in...
i encouraged joe to apply to business school.

unless you are actually giving a pep talk to the capital itself, this wording is incorrect.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm
lunarpower wrote:
crackgmat007 wrote:shouldnt '...are high AND there is....' be '...are high, AND there is....'? Looks like am missing something, pls clarify. Tx.
it seems that your issue is that you think there should be a comma in that part. (correct me if i've misinterpreted)

nope.

in fact, you CAN'T put a comma here, since a comma would create ambiguity, and would in fact suggest the wrong primary interpretation.

let me explain.

the structure of the sentence is "X, even though (Y and Z)".
in other words. "Y" (high vacancy rates) and "Z" (no demand) are BOTH counter to "X".
with NO COMMA between Y and Z, this structure is reinforced.

if you had a comma, you'd have
"X, even though Y, and Z".
this is most likely to be read as
"(X, even though Y), and Z"
in other words, Y runs counter to X, but Z reinforces X. that's not good.

hope this helps (and that it doesn't look too much like an algebra post)
Thanks for the explanation Ron. Can you clarify the below question pls?

If I see a clause after 'and', I check whether comma is used before 'and' or not. If comma is not used, it creates a run on sentence. Looks like this rule cannot be applied universally. Here 'Z' is 'there is no demand for construction'. Isnt this a clause with a subj (there) and a verb (is)?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:19 pm
crackgmat007 wrote:If I see a clause after 'and', I check whether comma is used before 'and' or not. If comma is not used, it creates a run on sentence.
this is not a hard and fast rule.

if the clauses are short, clearly parallel, and balanced in length, force, and meaning - as are the two latter clauses in this sentence - then you don't need the comma, and the sentence is arguably better off without it.

moreover, as in this sentence, clarity (i.e., lack of ambiguity) may demand that a comma NOT be used.

--

also, it appears that you misunderstand what a run-on sentence is.
a run-on sentence consists of two or more clauses that are joined together WITHOUT A CONJUNCTION.
in other words, a run-on sentence lacks either a coordinating conjunction (and, but, yet, etc.) or a subordinating conjunction (while, although, etc.)

this is an example of a run-on sentence:
i'm feeling really sick today, i won't be able to make it.

--

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Re: Federal incentives

by kaulnikhil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:59 pm
Thanks Ron but then got another doubt ..
crackgmat007 wrote:Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is ---what does there refer to ??Doesnt Gmat prefer it using for a place ??
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

Last edited by kaulnikhil on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:05 pm
lunarpower wrote:
crackgmat007 wrote:If I see a clause after 'and', I check whether comma is used before 'and' or not. If comma is not used, it creates a run on sentence.
So two clauses can sometimes be connected with a conjunction without a comma.

Pls let me know if there is a rule to identify such sentences?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

Re: Federal incentives

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:19 am
kaulnikhil wrote:Thanks Ron but then got another doubt ..
crackgmat007 wrote:Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is ---what does there refer to ??Doesnt Gmat prefer it using for a place ??

whoa. if you're not familiar with the idiomatic expression "there is" / "there are", then you should become familiar with it. it's EXTREMELY common; it's used to enumerate the contents of something, or to state that something exists or doesn't exist.

there are two professional baseball teams in ohio.
there is no reason to avoid that food.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 am
crackgmat007 wrote:
lunarpower wrote:
So two clauses can sometimes be connected with a conjunction without a comma.

Pls let me know if there is a rule to identify such sentences?
there is no hard and fast rule (at least not one with which i'm familiar). however, from what i've seen, this phenomenon occurs mainly in two ways:
(1) clarity demands the removal of the comma (as is the case in the sentence from this thread)
or
(2) the clauses are really short: i ordered steak and she ordered shrimp.

if it's #2, then the sentence will usually also work with the comma, but you should still know that the lack of a comma is a viable alternative. if it's #1 (as in this problem), then you need to remove the comma for the sake of clarity.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:43 am
(2) the clauses are really short: i ordered steak and she ordered shrimp.
Wow!! I would have treated the above example as ungrammetical. Thanks for clarifying Ron.

So, if two clauses are really long with modifiers etc, we do need a comma. Correct?