Done with GMAT finally :-720, Q 49, V 41 -Thank you Knewton

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720
Hi Guys..

Just done with my GMAT finally. Don't think I'll want to repeat the test again. Scored a 720 ( Q, 49, V 41)

I took the test twice last year and I scored a 660 ( Q 47, V 35) and 620 ( Q 48 , V 28).

I've seen loads of scores with breakups of Q 49, V 41 at 730/740 earlier, which may mean that the test is getting progressively harder on its scoring.

On my test prep took about 12 tests including a few of the offical Paper Based tests. They are definitely helpful, but I have realised that the GMAT Quant was way different today from anything I have seen so far. It was definitely tricky, and required understanding of the subtle nuances of the subject more than intense calculation in some questions.

With regards to Verbal, you would be in good shape, with the Good Old books such as the OG, the Verbal OG and Quant OG guides, Manhattan SC, and Power Score CR bible. I used all of them and Princetons Verbal Workout, Kaplans GMAT guide and the Arcos GMAT book in my previous prep attempts.

This time, I took training from Knewton and it was excellent as well. Writing about this calls for a separate post, and I don't want my debrief to sound like a marketing campaign for Knewton, but "KNEWTON ROCKS". I would definitely accredit my comfort level on the verbal section to them. They were fabulous.I just used their material for my practise.

To those who wanted to know how I progressed to this score, here are my Practice Test scores

ETS Paper Based Test 1 - 720
ETS Paper Based test 2- 710
ETS Paper Based test 3- 700
ETS Paper Based Test 4 - 740

GMAT Prep 1- 760 ( 49, 46)
GMAT Prep 2- 750 (49,44)

Knewton Test 1- 700 (47,38)
Knewton Test 2-650 (43,31)
Knewton Test 3- 730 (49,41)
Knewton Test 4- 740 (49,44)

Although a more detailed debrief will follow from my side if needed, here some advice for future test takers

1) Don't bother about tough probability, permutations and combination. You may not have any question, and even if you do, knowing the basic concept can help. If not guess and move on. You would be doing the guessing work on easier problems otherwise towards the end of the test. The problems you could have completed but didn't due to lack on time.

2) Number theory, set theory and exponents will have far more problems. Surprisingly I had two or three geometry questions testing slopes in parallelograms and triangles. Although not difficult the problems were time consuming.

3) Problems in Quant are getting harder, and it is very difficult to complete the quant on time. I had to guess that last 7 questions and I did make educated guesses towards the end of the test.

4) Keep AWA for the last day. Try to read some news paper articles in business news on Environmental issues, and the business climate. It will help in the AWA for giving real life examples.

5) On the verbal section, the CR is getting tougher. Work on a few passages where CR skills are being tested. That should hold you in good stead in the exam.

6) The CR was tough as well. Finally SC, which is painful for non native speakers, can be beat by knowing the common strategies, and practising the GMATPREP questions. Use BTG to search for previous posts on questions you don't understand.

7) Finally I have been here for on various GMAT forums for a long time now. This is an addictive forum. Close to your test days, at least a month closer to your test , you are better off focusing on your practice tests than aggressively replying back to every post you read on BTG or any other forum your active on. I was active on an another forum , last year and it didn't help me. I was spending more time reading feel good posts about high scores, and reading posts on how I should be working on my essays rather than working on my weaknesses in the test. Do one thing at a time.. Don't put your hands in two many buckets. You'll come back empty handed

8)My wife lost her uncle 2 days before my test date, and I had two challenging days prior to the test; wherein I was trying to rush in for last minute tickets to India for her, and all travel agents were shut because it was weekend.
Couldn't work on my plan for the last 2 days that I had in mind, but nevertheless, I am happy with what I have got... No regrets... So you never know in which situation you would be going in for your exam irrespective of your time and prep for Test. So when you go for your test, keep everything else aside, and when you are practicing, don't jump over your excellent scores.
Your GMAT score doesn't define you as a person, as an employee, as a friend.... Don't harp over your test scores... No one would care beyond a point. Unless your plan to join a Test Prep company to go and teach GMAT

9) Finally, ETS and Pearson may not agree with me, but the GMAT also depends on your luck. But they say the luck favours the brave, so go ahead, give it your best shot and while doing the test forget thinking about your score.

And before I forget, thank you BTG... I have used the forum on so many ocassions to look for answers and explanations and it has been a helpful experience every time.
Last edited by bhatiagp on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm
Excellent debrief and congratulations!!

2 Questions:

1. Where can I get the ETS paper tests? I've run out of practice material
2. How representative are the Knewton online CATs compared with MGMAT or even GMATPrep?

Thanks!

Knewton Test - Representative

by bhatiagp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 pm
Their tests are very representative, and similiar to the actual tests, though the Quant was on the easier side. The Quant is getting much harder, and I can say that for sure, as I have taken up the test for the third time.

The Verbal is very very similiar to the actual test , in terms of the difficulty level.

The only issue is that you need to be a student on their program to do the tests, they dont currently offer their tests for a fee.

The Paper based tests can be purchased from the MBA.com website.

It was a good investment to do them

Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 pm
Hi bhatiagp,

Congrates and best of luck for your applications.
I wanted to ask you a few things about verbal.
I want to join kenwton course as I saw their add as well hat they gurantee of 50 point increase on the previous score which will bring me to a 700 club any way.

Can you please tell me how good is the course and is really worth the money.
My quant is fine and I also got Q49 last time.
I am more looking for a score of atleast 40 in verbal.

Do they have some test pacer type of online practice and how much time do I need to complete their course ( 1 or 2 months atleast ).

From your post I can make out that their verbal course looks good and is actual representative of GMAT.

Please reply.

GMAT Score:740

by sboddup2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 am
Interesting that you talk about your breakdown and how some people here got different scores. You're exactly right although I got a 740 with a q49 v41 as recently as August 27th this year. Will someone please explain how the makers can drop someone's score by a whole 20 points in 18 days?

Sai

by shyamnaren » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 am
Surprising... I wrote my last week & got 720 with a split of 49 in Quants & 38 in Verbal.

by bhatiagp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 am
shyamnaren wrote:Surprising... I wrote my last week & got 720 with a split of 49 in Quants & 38 in Verbal.
Your lucky :)

Good luck towards your apps

by bhatiagp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 am
Sharma_Gaurav wrote:Hi bhatiagp,

Congrates and best of luck for your applications.
I wanted to ask you a few things about verbal.
I want to join kenwton course as I saw their add as well hat they gurantee of 50 point increase on the previous score which will bring me to a 700 club any way.

Can you please tell me how good is the course and is really worth the money.
My quant is fine and I also got Q49 last time.
I am more looking for a score of atleast 40 in verbal.

Do they have some test pacer type of online practice and how much time do I need to complete their course ( 1 or 2 months atleast ).

From your post I can make out that their verbal course looks good and is actual representative of GMAT.

Please reply.
I took about 2 months to complete their program. I think you need about 6 weeks to go through all their classes, but you can attend archives and go through your classes faster if you wish to take your GMAT earlier.

I can recommend the Knewton Program to one and all. My 60 pt increase is testimony to my satisfaction with their program. Infact I had heard that it gets tougher to increase your score progressively as your score goes higher. I have moved from a 660 to 720. And although I have scored a 720, my breakup is similiar to a 730/740 , and irrespective of my final score I am very happy the Knewton program. I dont think I could have achieved the score increase withour Knewton. Both their Verbal and Quant sections are excellent. I have a very balanced score, and their program is such that you dont sacrifice one section at the cost of the other.

On my actual GMAT I found my Quant to be tough, and infact it was tougher than that on the GMATPRrep as well. This is just my opinion, but Im happy with a 49. If you see I never scored more than 49 on any of my previous tests , so my final score is very representative of my ability.

by bhatiagp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 am
sboddup2 wrote:Interesting that you talk about your breakdown and how some people here got different scores. You're exactly right although I got a 740 with a q49 v41 as recently as August 27th this year. Will someone please explain how the makers can drop someone's score by a whole 20 points in 18 days?

Sai
Perhaps I made more mistakes for the same breakdown.

Or the GMAT's got tougher. I think the first one can be a more plausable explanation. Anyways it doesnt matter to me anymore.

I think a 720 can be competitive at any school with good applications, and a 780 can fall short if the application is weak.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:750

by zuleron » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am
Excellent score and debrief. Congratulations.

I wouldn't worry about the total score too much. Most schools are more interested in the breakdown. So I'd rather have a 720 with 49Q and 41V than a 730 with 49Q and 40V.

I have stopped worrying about the total score and focus more on the breakdown. With your breakdown you will be competitive ANYWHERE!