Range from x to y

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Range from x to y

by Sher1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 am
Despite its attractiveness, investing abroad can still
pose big risks, ranging from the potential for political instability in some countries to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others.

(A) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others
(B) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and in others a serious lack of information about investments
(C) and the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others
(D) and the shortage of regulations to protect investors to a serious lack of information about investments in others
(E) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors in others and a serious lack of information about investments

GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 am
IMO E

Range from X to Y is correct idiom so D and E are eliminated.
A and B use "others" incorrectly.

Ranging from the potential for political instability in some countries ..... blah blah in others

Answer plz

Followed by:3 members

Re: Range from x to y

by kaulnikhil » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 am
Sher1 wrote:Despite its attractiveness, investing abroad can still
pose big risks, ranging from the potential for political instability in some countries to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others.

(A) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others--correct answer perfectly parallel
(B) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and in others a serious lack of information about investments
(C) and the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others
(D) and the shortage of regulations to protect investors to a serious lack of information about investments in others
(E) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors in others and a serious lack of information about investments

GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 am
OOps my mistake .... didn't notice "and"
A seems right.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mrupapara » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm
A seems right to me

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: Range from x to y

by umaa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:29 pm
Sher1 wrote:Despite its attractiveness, investing abroad can still

(A) to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and a serious lack of information about investments in others
IMO A.

Ranging from A AND B is wrong. C and D out.

B and E are not parallel.
What we think, we become

GMAT Score:660

by Sher1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 pm
OA A

Followed by:3 members

by farooq » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:16 am
idiom + parallelism + critical reading.

I'm confused. I don't understand, how to find any grammatical mistake in the original sentence.

So let's have a look on choices.

A, B, and C are start with TO.
C and D are start with AND

Which is correct? Ranging from X to Y is correct. (Like I travelled from London to Paris). Not from London and Paris. (Little hint)
C and D are OUT.

Let's take B.

"to the shortage of regulations to protect investors and in others a serious lack of information about investments"

I would like to protect a serious lack of information about investment in others.
I would like to protect in others a serious lack of information about investment. // Sounds awkward. I'm unable to comprehend it.

B is also OUT.

And similarly E.

What remains?
Only A
Attachments
SC.JPG
ranging from X to Y.
Regards,
Farooq Farooqui.
London. UK

It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.