Moral Fabric

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Moral Fabric

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm
Hi All,

In the below question..powerscore CR bible question

[spoiler]OA = A.[/spoiler]. [spoiler]Can someone please tell what is meant by option D(i.e. what does option D want to say :-( )...and why the same is wrong ?[/spoiler]

Some argue that laws are instituted at least in part to help establish a particular moral fabric in society. But the primary function of law is surely to help order society so that its institutions, organisations, and citizenry can work together harmoniously, regardless of any further moral aims of the law. Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exeptions in the application of laws.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following ?

a) The manner in which laws are applied sometimes takes into account the beliefs of the people governed by those laws.
b) The law has as one of its functions the ordering of society but is devoid of moral aims.
c) Actions based on religious belief or on moral conviction tend to receive the protection of the highest courts.
d) The way a society is ordered by law should not reflect any moral convictions about the way society ought to be ordered.
e) The best way to promote cooperation among a society's institutions, organizations, and citizenry is to institute order in that society by means of law.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by kyabe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 pm
D says that any law should not show any moral obligations influencing the law. But the argument says that at times exception are taken into consideration because of moral grounds. So D is ruled out. Does that makes sense??

by kbharadwaj.1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 am
Actually I guess D is the answer.
geolmohit is trying to lay a boobytrap. :D

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 am
kbharadwaj.1987 wrote:Actually I guess D is the answer.
No....OA = A....

I want to understand the cryptic language of D...

by akay » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
kbharadwaj.1987 wrote:Actually I guess D is the answer.
No....OA = A....

I want to understand the cryptic language of D...
d) The way a society is ordered by law should not reflect any moral convictions about the way society ought to be ordered.

The passage says: Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exeptions in the application of laws = Law on occasions reflects the moral convictions about the way society ought to be ordered. This is the opposite of D.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:20 am
Re-Opened thread

I am confused over A and D.

I believe that option D is contain in 2nd sentence , not last sentence, of the passage. But i am unable to reject it. Can someone help me that how to reject it?

But the primary function of law is surely to help order society so that its institutions, organizations, and citizenry can work together harmoniously, regardless of any further moral aims of the law.

OE:
Answer choice (D): The author indicates that the "primary function" of law is to help order society; the author does not indicate that this is the one and only function of law. The answer choice overstates the case by saying that a society ordered by law should not reflect any moral convictions about the ordering.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by missionGMAT007 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:41 am
Please see the mail message of the stimulus
Indeed, the highest courts have on occasion treated moral beliefs based on conscience or religious faith as grounds for making exeptions in the application of laws.

We should select answer choice, which will be supported by the above message.
A does it correctly.