Saffir-Simpson Hurricane

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane

by svishal1123 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:29 pm
The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane's potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

A

B to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

C of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

D to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough

E to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

Will post the OA soon.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by tom4lax » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:46 pm
IMO D.

To destroy is the correct usage.

determined by is correct usage.

high enough is correct usage.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 pm
agree with tom on "determined by" and "potential to destroy", but i think the idiom is: so X as to Y, so go with E: so high as to blow away...

by tom4lax » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:18 pm
Do we know what the OA is? I'd be interested to see what the correct usage is.

by svishal1123 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:44 pm
My answer was D but OA is E.

I had read somewhere that "so as to" is always wrong.
But as per the OE, it is correct. "Enough as to" is also not wrong. I am unable to understand the difference. Source is MGMAT Test. Below is the OE. Please explain it to me if you are able to understand this.

The idiom "high enough to blow away small buildings" changes the original meaning; it conveys that wind speeds are the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses. The idiom "so x as to y" is required instead to match the original meaning: that characteristic x (the wind speed) is so extreme in the particular case (a category 5 storm) that y results (small houses are blown away).

GMAT Score:690

I think it is D

by thunderdan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:38 am
Can some one explain how it can be E??

by mruzeful » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am
For Info: as per Manhattan..
so X as to Y is a correct idiom

Glee!

by enniguy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 pm
svishal1123 wrote: ...
I had read somewhere that "so as to" is always wrong.
"so as to" is wrong. "so <adjective> as to" is not wrong.

Followed by:5 members

by Anaira Mitch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 am
OE :

When referring to y as the potential outcome of x, the correct idiom is "x's potential to y." This
sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as "a hurricane's potential of destroying or damaging." When
referring to the use of y to determine x, the correct idiom is "x is determined by y." This sentence
incorrectly phrases the idiom as "potential ... is determined from wind speeds." Finally, there is a
subtle distinction between the idiom "so x as to y" and "x is enough to y." The original sentence uses
the idiom "so x as to y" to indicate that characteristic x is so extreme in the particular case that y
results. In contrast, the idiom "x is enough to y" is used when x is the criteria by which an ability to
achieve y is measured. Thus, if a sentence stated that "a category 5 storm has wind speeds high
enough to blow away small buildings," this would convey a different meaning: that wind speeds are
the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) When referring to the use of y to determine x, the correct idiom is "x is determined by y." This
sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as "potential ... is determined from wind speeds." The change
from the original idiom "wind speeds so high as to..." to the idiom presented in this sentence "high
enough to..." changes the original meaning of the sentence; it conveys that wind speeds are the
criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses. The idiom "so x as to y" is
required instead to match the original meaning: that characteristic x (the wind speed) is so extreme in
the particular case (a category 5 storm) that y results (small houses are blown away).

(C) When referring to y as the potential outcome of x, the correct idiom is "x's potential to y." This
sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as "a hurricane's potential of destroying or damaging."

(D) The idiom "high enough to blow away small buildings" changes the original meaning; it conveys
that wind speeds are the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses. The
idiom "so x as to y" is required instead to match the original meaning: that characteristic x (the wind
speed) is so extreme in the particular case (a category 5 storm) that y results (small houses are blown
away).

(E) CORRECT. All idioms in the sentence are used correctly.