negation on assumption Q. dose not work? help,pls

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
this is the question from Princeton Review book, a good sourse.

Many people believe that gold and platinum are the most valuable commodities. To the true entreprener, however gold and platinium are less valuable than opportunities that an enable him to further enrich himself. Therefore, in the world of high finance, information is the most valuable commodity.

The author of the passage above makes which of the following assumptions?

a,gold and platinum are not the most valuable commodities

b, Entrepreneurs are not like most people

c,the value of information is incalculablly high

d, information about business opportunities is accurate and will lead to increased wealth

e, Oly entreprenerus feel that information is the most valuable commodity

A is wrong answer but if I negate A, we have " Gold and Planinium are most valuable commodity" this destroy aregurment and so A is correct. In fact, C is correct.

pls help me out

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
duongthang wrote:this is the question from Princeton Review book, a good sourse.

Many people believe that gold and platinum are the most valuable commodities. To the true entreprener, however gold and platinium are less valuable than opportunities that an enable him to further enrich himself. Therefore, in the world of high finance, information is the most valuable commodity.

This is what I know and hope to remember on test day about assumption questions.

A is already negated. Almost 8 out of 10 times negating a negating quetion gets the wrong answer.

A seems a restatement of the fact in the stimulus. Haven't seen this to be correct except once.

bear in mind that this is a supporter assumption, which is a lot easire to solve than defender assumption ones.

Hope this helps...

d, information about business opportunities is accurate and will lead to increased wealth

A is wrong answer but if I negate A, we have " Gold and Planinium are most valuable commodity" this destroy aregurment and so A is correct. In fact, C is correct.

pls help me out

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:18 am
This is what I know and hope to remember on test day about assumption questions.

A is already negated. Almost 8 out of 10 times negating a negating quetion gets the wrong answer.

A seems a restatement of the fact in the stimulus. Haven't seen this to be correct except once.

bear in mind that this is a supporter assumption, which is a lot easire to solve than defender assumption ones.

C is also mentioned in the stimulus but it helps explain why gold and platinum are not the most valuable.

Hope this helps...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bsandhyav » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 am
What is the OA for this question?

I'm confused between C & D. A is definitely wrong 'coz A is not an assumption.
It is more like an implied statement.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
duongthang wrote:this is the question from Princeton Review book, a good sourse.

pls help me out
We have to find out what is the assumption made by author.
Only confusion is between C & D . But C is just re-iterating what is already mentioned in Question .

so IMO is D..

what is OA?

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:11 am
The poster already mentioned that OA is "C".

The issue here is not making self rich, but enriching one's self with information. Hence, "D" is incorrect. Negate "C" and see if it is the correct answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 pm
what I want to ask is that

if we negate A, we can destroy conclusion. so A satisfy negation test. an incorrect answer can satisfy negation test.

pls help me out