Are you weak in math? Find out how to prepare here...

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
This guide is actually meant for GRE test takers, but the same principles apply for GMAT preparation. In fact, the GRE and GMAT tests pretty much the same principles and topics, but have some differences with regard to question formatting.

This is a must download for folks who are weak in math (like me, in the beginning of my prep).
Attachments
how to get high quant.doc
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 9394 times
Last edited by beatthegmat on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Are you weak in math?

by gmat_score » Tue May 23, 2006 7:56 pm
Seems like document is made for me..

Thanks for posting and maintaining this site.

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 am
Many of my 'quantitatively challenged' students have had good results by starting with Barron's MATH: THE EASY WAY.

It is NOT a GMAT book and it's by no means sufficient math review. However, it's a great resource for those who feel that the math discussion in Kaplan or TPR books is over their head.

MATH: THE EASY WAY has nice but very elementary introduction/ reviews of fractions, decimals, factoring, basic algebra and basic geometry.

I would avoid Barron's GEOMETRY; THE EASY WAY and ALGEBRA: THE EASY WAY. Those books' emphasis is on topics beyond the GMAT.

Also, Barron's GMAT book is NOT reliable.
Ian Streicher

by vinumba10 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:51 am
Thanks Eric....

Math Refresher

by MBA-bound02 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:42 am
I even picked up a book called the Math Refresher. It's for SAT, GRE and GMAT and it breaks down arithmetic, algebra, fraction, geometry. Great at REALLY explaining the concepts

by giuli » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am
Thanks to all, I need to re-learn math and I wasn't sure where to start.

by navigator » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm
Another book to consider is Kaplan Math Foundations, which provides just the math foundations needed for the GMAT (across all math sub-topics). I recently completed the book and it has helped me gain a stronger footing with Official Guide problems.

Any additional tips?

by giuli » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:30 pm
I have worked my way through the Barron's MATH: THE EASY WAY book and it was a terrific refresher on many areas I had forgotten. However, I still think I may need further "remedial" work before I tackle GMAT specific books. I have been away from math for a very long time. Any other ideas?

navigator, Kaplan GMAT Math Foundations received some pretty harsh reviews on Amazon. Most of the complaints were re errors within the book; you didn't feel that the errors impacted what you got out of it? Thanks.

Can't download the doc

by kidoyuan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:12 am
Hey Eric, can't download the doc. Can you email that to me? I need a lot of help with the math.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: Can't download the doc

by beatthegmat » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:25 pm
kidoyuan wrote:Hey Eric, can't download the doc. Can you email that to me? I need a lot of help with the math.
Try right-clicking on the file and selecting 'save as'. Or, you might want to try downloading from another browser or computer. Either one of these solutions should work--otherwise, it might be something we can't troubleshoot easily, like a firewall issue.

Hope this works.

by sanu_nitin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 am
hello eric, iam new to this family. First of all thanks a tonne for maintaining such a knowledge bank on GMAT.
I need one help, can you please suggest some books which is purely focused on "refresher on maths foundation"

thanks,
Nitin

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
sanu_nitin wrote:hello eric, iam new to this family. First of all thanks a tonne for maintaining such a knowledge bank on GMAT.
I need one help, can you please suggest some books which is purely focused on "refresher on maths foundation"

thanks,
Nitin
Hi Nitin,

I highly recommend the Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook. Be sure to take a look at our Beat The GMAT GMAT Book Recommendations too. Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 pm
Thanks Eric!!! :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

by jessmorg » Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am
Kaplan GMAT Foundations Includes Trigonometry.. Which i have been told is NOT on the GMAT.. correct me if im wrong.. but why would they include something in a book specifically for prepareing for a specific test, and include topics that arent on the test.