This has nothing to do with studying or anything but...

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
well, it's summer, and I have my water frozen in a plastic bottle. I leave a bit of space so that I can pour some water in to make water cold so that I can enjoy cold water.

Just other day I randomly thought that shanking the bottle would make the water get cold quicker than just pouring it in and wait.

So, I did, it got cold fast, really fast. I thought it got cold way too quick.

Can anyone explain this? I mean is there an reason other than that water get good exposure (shaking causing circulation) to ice which allowing it to cool fast?

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 am
By shaking it, you generated energy that caused the ice to melt. Miniscule amount maybe, but enough to cool down your water a lot more than you thought it would

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by asherman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:24 pm
simple concept of erosion my friend. For example, in santa monica, the beach just eroded tons after our storm - with wind, rain and waves, it sped up what would have happened over years in just a few days...

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:32 pm
also depending on how hard you shook it.. you could have cracked the larger ice exposing more surface area, allowing the cold water to then erode the newly exposed surface...
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants