Non-traditional profile, evaluate please?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Non-traditional profile, evaluate please?

by cks3 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 pm
I was hoping for feedback on my upcoming business school application since I don't fit the typical candidate profile. I graduated in the Spring of 2009 from a top 50 university with a 3.7 GPA and degrees in Marketing and Communications. I have two internships on my resume, each pertaining to one of my majors. I got a 710(Q:48-84th percentile, V:40-89th percentile) on the GMATs, though I'm retaking again in two weeks since I underachieved relative to my practice tests.

The challenge I have is that I have not worked since graduation, but I have earned a living making 50k+ a year as a professional poker player. I'm now looking to step away and move towards consulting and my own business in the future, but I don't know whether this can be spun as a positive or whether I won't be taken seriously.

The schools I'm considering are as follows:
Stanford
Michigan
Virginia
Dartmouth
UCLA
MIT
CMU
UNC
Penn State (safety)
Pitt (safety)

What do you think my chance are for acceptance and do you have any suggestions as I begin my applications? Thanks.

-C

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am
Dear C,

I think you will definitely stand out in the applicant pool to some degree based on your current career as a professional poker player. You have the necessary GMAT and GPA to demonstrate your academic aptitude and ability to handle the coursework, so the key for you will be presenting a compelling case for admission in your essays, recommendations, and interviews. Specifically, the schools will be looking for you to present your rationale for business school in relation to your career goals beyond simply that you want to enter consulting--why do you need to business school to achieve your goals? why a particular program? why now versus gaining more traditional work experience first?

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me