2 SCs i cant solve/understand

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

2 SCs i cant solve/understand

by crack_attack_gmat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:15 pm
I have narrowed down to (A) or (B), which one is the correct choice and why

22. Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbearts can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfteh week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

I official answer is (A)...what is wrong with (D)

7. While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.
(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: 2 SCs i cant solve/understand

by riteshbindal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:34 pm
crack_attack_gmat wrote:I have narrowed down to (A) or (B), which one is the correct choice and why

22. Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(A) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, fetal heartbearts can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy.
(B) Fetal heartbeats can be detected by the twelfth week of pregnancy, using a Doppler ultrasound device.
(C) Detecting fetal heartbeats by the twelfteh week of pregnancy, a physician can use a Doppler ultrasound device.
(D) By the twelfth week of pregnancy, fetal heart-beats can be detected using a Doppler ultrasound device by a physician.
(E) Using a Doppler ultrasound device, a physician can detect fetal heartbeats by the twelfth week of pregnancy.

I official answer is (A)...what is wrong with (D)

7. While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.
For question 6, B is incorrect due to a comma. If you remove the comma then sentence becomes correct else A is correct.
For question 7, the courage is getting compared which is correctly done in A. In B, it compares courage with Rosa Parks which is incorrect.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mittalashwani13 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:33 pm
Answer CANNOT be A or B for this ... E got to be the answer ... Because "Using the Doppler ultrasound device" is correctly modifying "a physician...

Who is using the device? ...physician...
crack_attack_gmat wrote:I have narrowed down to (A) or (B), which one is the correct choice and why

by madhur_ahuja » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:45 pm
IMO , the answer should be E, using should modify a physician , not fetal heartbeats.

by riteshbindal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:50 pm
I agree with E too. It was my mistake to choose B. Thanks guys!

by life is a test » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 pm
crack_attack_gmat wrote: I official answer is (A)...what is wrong with (D)

'For refusing' in D is in present tense whereas non underlined portion is in past tense.

by xcusemeplz2009 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:57 pm
its a dangling modifier question and in option E mentioning a physician removes the error.........whether one likes or not one has to accept the rules ......