620 to 700 in 23 days.Please help..totally frustated

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Today i appeared for GMATPrep-1 Got total score of 620(Q:48,V:27).I am totally frustated. Don't know what do do.Actual GMAT is on 25th. My target score is at least 700 ? Is it possible to improve 80 points with in this span.

I have used following materials

ALL 6 manhattan books
Power score critical reasoning Bible
Kaplan 2009 premier program
OG 11 and OG12 and verbal supplement.

I have been studing for last 5 months.I tried hard.Its very frustating to have a score 620 after 5 months of time.

My previous MGMAT scores as as below

MGMAT -1 - 620 (Q:40,V:32)

MGMAT -2 - 640(Q:42,V:33)

MGMAT-3 - 600(Q:44:V:33)--- It was really scocking.

MGMAT- 4- 650(Q:Q45:V 33)

Please help... what should i do ?. I know no magical weapon will work.But i wanted to do my best before the actual test..Please help

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by moonshine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 am
Hi Subhasis,

I'm no expert but I can share my own prep experience. My GMAT Prep scores went up from 640 to 720 in less than 3 weeks (the 640 was my diagnostic before starting prep).

I haven't taken any MGMAT tests yet but I can see from your score that you need to focus a bit on Verbal. That was the same problem in my first GMAT Prep test too. My Quant was decent (not as good as yours) but Verbal was way behind.

So I took some time out to focus purely on Verbal, especially SC. It improved my score a lot. Also, I realized my pacing was all wrong so it may help you to look at your own test taking patterns... .are you getting impatient or rushing through Verbal?

In my experience, most mistakes can be avoided if options are read thoroughly.

So now I'm faring about 41-42 on both Quant and Verbal. I also have about 20 days in which to get my Quant scores right... all the best to you with your prep... :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by subhasis8877 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 am
Many thanks moonshine !!

I will go through SC once again. My problem is not able to choose one choice between two after split.I was too confused between two answer choices.I will try to pace myself in SC.

Shall I only concentrate on OG ? or look for some other reference ?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by moonshine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 am
Hey!

Well I can tell you what I'm doing... I'm trying to understand everything that MGMAT SC has - and I try to think up of examples just to make sure I've internalized the theory.

Are you clear on the Subject, Object and Verb of each sentence? It helped me to take a step back and identify these things - and then a lot of little pointers mentioned in the book are so helpful.

For example, in GMAT "which" always refers to the noun preceding it. I guess you have to find your own answers there.

Then I'm also reading all explanations of OG SC answers - I mean each answer. This advice was given to me by a GMAT consultant on this forum and it has helped already :)