how do I write this?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

how do I write this?

by semidevil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 pm
I'm just trying to apply to a state mba school in oklahoma. nothing fancy, and the standards are not as strict, but I still do not qualify.

This is what the mba director suggested for me:

".....While a 2.6 is below the required 3.0 GPA, the MBA Admissions Committee does look at all factors when considering an application for admission, GPA, GMAT, work experience, recommendations. Since you have all the documents needed for a complete application, you can go ahead and apply and see what the admissions committee says. If there were extenuating circumstances that affected your GPA, I would write a letter of explanation with your application. You might want to expand on your full time job in that letter as well......"

-first thing is to address the GPA issue. Now, I always hear that it is not good to make excuses. But how do I address it without making excuses? The reason for my low GPA? It's really a combination of everything. too much play, and also too much work. Is my goal to write an essay to sound dramatic so they can understand why my gpa is so low?

-second is the work experience. It's been 4 years since I graduated, and my work ethic is excellent. I am positive that my superiors at work can vouch for me. Do weave this in to the GPA explanation, or is this a seperate essay?

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:23 pm
Well I am not an expert but here is my take.
While a 2.6 is below the required 3.0 GPA, the MBA Admissions Committee does look at all factors when considering an application for admission, GPA, GMAT, work experience, recommendations. Since you have all the documents needed for a complete application, you can go ahead and apply and see what the admissions committee says. If there were extenuating circumstances that affected your GPA, I would write a letter of explanation with your application. You might want to expand on your full time job in that letter as well......"
Don't be whinny.Talk straight. Accept your mistakes.And don't just focus on your mistakes, tell them what you learn from your mistakes.After all at the end of the day if you can learn from your mistake, then definitely it is positive.
second is the work experience. It's been 4 years since I graduated, and my work ethic is excellent. I am positive that my superiors at work can vouch for me. Do weave this in to the GPA explanation, or is this a seperate essay?
Work Exp and GPA are poles apart. It would be just clear that you are giving excuses. Address work Exp where it is asked to do so.

Hope this Helps

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by semidevil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:11 pm
another question. I"m going to just throw all ammo I can to get accepted. Since they only ask for 2 letters of reccommendation, can I add a 3rd one? Does it make postive or negative difference in my application?

Just like this 'letter of explanation' that she mentioned, it's not required, but I was wondering if doing this extra work can help.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by freespirit_6984 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:24 pm
semidevil,

I'd suggest contacting the admissions office and asking them first if it's ok to submit an additional letter of recommendation. You don't want to create additional work for them and piss them off. If it's ok, you can submit the additional letter and explain your reasons for doing so in the optinonal essay.

Then again I'm no expert but just read this on one of the innumerable blogs out there.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by InterviewBay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:30 pm
semidevil wrote:another question. I"m going to just throw all ammo I can to get accepted. Since they only ask for 2 letters of reccommendation, can I add a 3rd one? Does it make postive or negative difference in my application?

Just like this 'letter of explanation' that she mentioned, it's not required, but I was wondering if doing this extra work can help.
Two letters of recommendation are sufficient. If your additional recommendation doesn't add a different perspective to your application, then I would not advise to add it to your application. It is better to follow the application requirements as it helps the admissions committee to evaluate your application smoothly. Best of luck!

www.interviewbay.com
- Get Ready For The Interview
Mock Interviews By Current Students and Alumni

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 am
Don't be whinny.Talk straight. Accept your mistakes.And don't just focus on your mistakes, tell them what you learn from your mistakes.After all at the end of the day if you can learn from your mistake, then definitely it is positive.
Work Exp and GPA are poles apart. It would be just clear that you are giving excuses. Address work Exp where it is asked to do so.

I agree with gmat740 on this, specially on GPA score. Let me inform you, 2.6 is a very low GPA for someone who is applying as an International student. In US, 2.6 GPA means you practically are on 'oxygen' and graduated with a probation. ( University students that play for inter-college sports like basketball and football graduate with these kind of GPAs and they have a VERY good reason for that). What is your reason? Why should they want you as a student? Can you convince them without excuses? I'm just giving you an idea why this GPA may have terrible consequences.

Again - you say "it has been 4 yrs since you graduated". This still does not tell me the following:

1) How many yrs (including months) of full time work experience do you have?
2) Where did you work and for whom did you?
3) What did you do?
4) Whom did you select to write your 2 letter of recommendations? (Ideally, one should have been from work and the other from your school - to back up your low GPA)
But it seems, you did not cover your grounds well in the first place.

These things play into account when the committee looks at your application. I am not sure why are you expected to write a more detailed explanation regarding your full time job. But if you provide further information, I may be able to give you further direction.

As for letter of recommendation, as someone mentioned above, call or email and get a confirmation. Many schools give you another chance to provide an optional letter of recommendation (3) in case you still have gap in your application that can be addressed. In this case, you will need to choose someone who can address either your LOW GPA or vouch for your excellent work experience. Since, the admissions committee will be more interested in your aptitude as a student and the ability as a student who can handle these courses - you may want to find someone who can address your low GPA instead. (However, check with the school first. If you don't follow the instructions, your case can end up in the bin even before it sees the table of the committee folks.

Please learn one thing from your experience - never take any MBA admissions process lightly.
Good Luck!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31