Germans

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Germans

by crackgmat007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:05 pm
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

For discussion, OA to follow. Pls explain your answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Germans

by madhur_ahuja » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm
IMO A

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
This cannot be an objection. Instead it strengthens.

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. This can be an objection, since users might be using free soft.

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. This can be an objection since they might be buying programs outside germany

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. This can be an objection since they might already have programs.

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.... This can be an ojbection clear.y

For discussion, OA to follow. Pls explain your answers[/quote]

by italian7745 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 pm
I will go for A too....

The Answer would be the option that - does not counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced.

Reasonable Objection to the interpretation would prove that - germans do not practice illegal duplication

Counter the reasonable objection to the interpretation would prove that - germans do practice illegal duplication

Answer would be that - Does not counter the objection to the interpreation would prove that - germans do not practice illegal duplication

1) Few German computer users write their own computer programs - Correct Answer .... Do not practice illegal duplication

2) There are few free non commercial computer programs available in Germany - Non Commercial computer programs are not being discussed here...

3) Some Germans purchase computers outside of germany , and such purchases were counted in the survey - This might prove that germans practice illegal duplication , since the purchase of computers outisde of germany has been counted.

4) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer - This might prove that germans practice illegal duplication , since they are having several programs and even though they are buying less copies of computer programs...

5) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey - This might prove that germans practice illegal duplication , coz legally made duplicates have been counted and still No. of computers purchased > No. of computer programs.

GMAT Score:720

by gmat_dest » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 pm
Answer should be C.

Look for not except that means does not WEAKEN...

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:35 pm
For me between C and D, but i chose D. i think D strengthens the conclusion

i think A weakens the conclusion. Germans write their own programs and does not illegally copy programs - (against the conclusion)

For C - > even though the computers were bought outside Germany, but being used in Germany, the owners should have bought the programs to be used.

by tom4lax » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:58 pm
IMO C.

A I believe is an incorrect choice in that it counters the assertion that Germans are writing their own programs.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:50 pm
pandeyvineet24 wrote:For me between C and D, but i chose D. i think D strengthens the conclusion

i think A weakens the conclusion. Germans write their own programs and does not illegally copy programs - (against the conclusion)

For C - > even though the computers were bought outside Germany, but being used in Germany, the owners should have bought the programs to be used.
Update -> OA - C
Last edited by crackgmat007 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by life is a test » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:48 pm
crackgmat007 wrote:A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. --> that could be why software sale< computer sales
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. --> that could be why software sale< computer sales
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. --> number of computers overcounted.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.--> hence no need to purchase software
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. --> this means that software counted were more than actually purchased hence strengthens the claim that software sales < computer sales.

what about E? Isnt the question asking which one does not weaken the argument, i.e. which one does not indicate that illegal copies are being made (either through strengthening the original claim or a neutral statement that neither strengthens nor weakens)...

by life is a test » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:52 pm
life is a test wrote:
crackgmat007 wrote:A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. --> that could be why software sale< computer sales
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. --> that could be why software sale< computer sales
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. --> number of computers overcounted.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.--> hence no need to purchase software
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. --> this means that software counted were more than actually purchased hence strengthens the claim that software sales < computer sales.

what about E? Isnt the question asking which one does not weaken the argument, i.e. which one does not indicate that illegal copies are being made (either through strengthening the original claim or a neutral statement that neither strengthens nor weakens)...
I think I confused myself there! what I meant to say was that I think the question is asking which statement does not weaken the the conclusion that illegal copies are being made. I still think its E though.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:11 pm
Guys take a look :

Conclusion : the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans

Why : Because more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans

Now keep in mind the conclusion. We have to find an answer which does not weaken
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. that means Germans don't need to buy programs.So this weakens the argument. Hence not an answer

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. When free programs are available, will you care to buy?? Certainly no! so this also weakens.Kick this one out

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. The conclusion is about the computer program and this statement NEVER talks about any such program.Clearly, this has hardly any effect on the argument

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. When Germans already have programs in their computer,why will they buy.So this weakens to and not the answer.You can personalize this one as, if you are getting Mobile Phone + Accessories, will you still buy accessories?NO

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.When Germans legally duplicate(may be by paying some amount)so they are definitely not making ILLEGAL COPIES which the argument claims.So this also weakens.
The answer has to be C

Hope this Long Post Clarifies all your Doubts

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 pm
good explanation. Tx

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:15 am
Thanks Karan, the explanation helps.

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 am
Could you please let me know the source of this question?

thanks.

Legendary Member

by crackgmat007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:10 pm
1000 CR

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by micheal_kr » Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 pm
Well I feel C is the answer. I guess I'm right.