CR doubt

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR doubt

by devesh » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:24 pm
Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, dramatized the concept that the misfortune a person suffers is not an accident, but rather a logical outcome of flaws in that person's nature; the misfortune is thus that person's "fault." Nonetheless, today the public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other "social safety net" programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.

Which of the following, if true, would best resolve the paradox in the statements above?

A. The ancient Greeks had few, if any, such social safety net programs in their society.

B. The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of Greek tragedy.

C. Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.

D. Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take advantage of other social safety net programs.

E. The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to charities that assist innocent people injured in natural disasters, such as hurricanes.

ne more..

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

by chatekar » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 am
My chice is

A for the first one
and C for the second one

Whats the OA? and whats the source of the question.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by givemeanid » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:27 pm
E for the first, D for second.
So It Goes

by hopefully » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:07 pm
Givemeanid - whw y do u think D in q2...
C seems better that since this is the only reason the disease is caused it will be curbed by reducing sales...

D could have been better if it said the parents will stop buying bcoz of the regulations ...

E for first
C for second

OA?

by givemeanid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 am
hopefully wrote:Givemeanid - whw y do u think D in q2...
C seems better that since this is the only reason the disease is caused it will be curbed by reducing sales...

D could have been better if it said the parents will stop buying bcoz of the regulations ...

OA?
In the second one, C says 'Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome'. The assumption doesn't break even if this statement were not true i.e even if there are other ways in which an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel, the legislation would still help curb this condition.
So It Goes

by chatekar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:01 am
Givemeanid

even if there are other ways in which an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel, the legislation would still help curb this condition.

How come the legislation, which bans the sale of video games curb the disease which caused by some thing other than video games

by givemeanid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:15 am
chatekar wrote:Givemeanid

even if there are other ways in which an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel, the legislation would still help curb this condition.

How come the legislation, which bans the sale of video games curb the disease which caused by some thing other than video games

Lo and behold. I should be applying principles of clarity while posting too!

What I meant was that the legislation would still help curb carpal tunnel because crapal tunnel is definitely caused by playing video games. Even if playing video games is not the ONLY cause, and for sake of this discussion lets assume that eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich causes carpal tunnel, legislation would still help in curbing carpal tunnel since it is caused by playing video games anyway.

HTH
So It Goes

by chatekar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:26 am
Givemeanid,

Somehow I'm not convinced. There are two causes that develop the disease, the legislation takes care of one of them then how do you conclude that the adolescents are prevented from the disease, the other reason is still in existence

Thanks

by gviren » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:28 pm
I think the answer should be C. If the regulation will ban the sale of the video games, where are the parents going to buy it - Blackmarket?

Moreover the premise assumes while stating that the legislation will curb the syndrome that the only way to get the syndrome is thru playing video games.

by givemeanid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 pm
gviren wrote:I think the answer should be C. If the regulation will ban the sale of the video games, where are the parents going to buy it - Blackmarket?

Moreover the premise assumes while stating that the legislation will curb the syndrome that the only way to get the syndrome is thru playing video games.
The legislation will ban the sale of video game to MINORS. Mommy daddy can still buy it without going to back of the alley.
So It Goes

by veekay » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 pm
givemeanid wrote:
gviren wrote:I think the answer should be C. If the regulation will ban the sale of the video games, where are the parents going to buy it - Blackmarket?

The legislation will ban the sale of video game to MINORS. Mommy daddy can still buy it without going to back of the alley.
I missed that subtle piece. Thanks for pointing out. I am with you on this

by devesh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 am
OAs E and D
good job givemeanid