accepted NYU, non-business applicant, bad gpa, 1 year work

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi there!

I should have wrote this a while ago, but thanks to the community support here at beatthegmat, I was able to get into the ONLY program that I wanted to attend.

Before we go on, this is a part-time success story, not a full time MBA application.

I did not have a good undergrad GPA, in fact my first two years were 1.8, and my last three years was only about 3.00. (if that) It's also from a very lowly ranked city university.

I came from a non-business background, I work at a library!

I wanted to be able to have a MBA education while not losing my job at the same time. So I've decided that since I am in NYC, I might as well apply for the best there is. In NYC, I would say that the best part-time program would be NYU.

I was really concerned with my undergrad GPA, and I felt that I should focus on the GMAT. My goal was above 700. The first thing I did was come onto this site and see how other people studied. This helped me a great deal in terms of getting the study material. BTW, if you live in NYC, all three public library system have all the study materials you will ever need, dating back possibly 10 years! In my last week of study before the GMAT exam, I took 4 computer tests, one from Kaplan, one from Barons, and the two from GMAT website. I scored all around high 500s, except for the official GMAT tests, which I got something like 650ish.

Another issue with me was work experience. I only worked for a year when I applied for NYU. Average job experience for part-time MBA was between 2 to 6 years! On top of that, due to the severe budget crisis here, the city was about to slash jobs, and I would be the first to go under the union rule of "last in, first out". Only silver lining was that I got promoted to supervisor due to my job performance.

So now, imagine, some guy who did crappy in undergrad, does ok on the GMAT, but has barely any work experience, ordinary recommendations, and is probably gonna get laid off (as of now, I've been lucky, and did not get laid off, although there is suppose to be another round of lay off coming in november after mayor bloomberg get elected again).

One thing I had going for me was the vast resources at my disposal in the library. I pour my heart out on the essay section. Talking about my goals in life and how NYU is the perfect place for me to learn and live. I wrote down everything that sincerely felt dear to me, and how NYU will help me achieve these life longing goals in my life. I pointed out the fact that I am more of the supervisor who got a somewhat decent GMAT score than the punk kid who dropped out of school after 1st two years of college.

After sending my application in, I felt I had a decent chance of at least being a competitive candidate. I am really happy that I got in, (if only I can get 100k dollars to pay for this thing now, anyone's got a rich uncle here?). I would like to share my experience with all of you, the community. You have helped me prepare for business school, and I want just to say to all the perspective candidates that there is no perfect candidate. Of course my application to a part-time program is different from that of the full-time programs. However, I dont believe many of you had a 1.8 GPA in the 1st two years of college, and that your career and life story is much more successful than mine. I believe that all of you can get into your dream school, and that with honesty, and persistance, you will achieve your goal as well!

My background:
26 years old
Cleveland State University Undergrad: Physics, Math
SUNY Albany grad: Library Science
1.3 years work experience at a major public library
GPA first two years: 1.8
GPA last two years:3.16

GMAT 680, V34, M48 Essay:5.5

by osamakhan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm
First of all congrats on getting into the business school of your choice. I think your gmat score was good enough.

In terms of tuition support, i dont know how Graduate Assistant positions are offered at NYU but i am starting from Fall at UMD-Smith and if you get a GA position, they offer full tuition remission with 18K /year for 20 hrs/ week work. I would suggest that you talk to financial aid office there and try to look for a GA/TA/RA position.

I am also trying to figure out how to pay for the MBA since i am not eligible for FAFSA loans.

Goodluck with your MBA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ReachingHigher » Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 am
I would just like to say that I am impressed with your motivation and purity of heart. Sometimes, people truly do not know how to express themselves verbally.

Everyone is so obsessed with numbers, ranks, etc. etc. What is it in life that people really want to do? Where is the passion? Where is the tenacity? THAT is what makes a true business person thrive. Communication and drive. I have worked in five different industries - FIVE. Everything from healthcare, movies, production, and government. I have worked with slick Hollywood producers and lower level government workers. No one is different. People are people. If you can communicate with them, understand their talents, and truly respect them, then you can make a team work. It's all about balance.

Anyway, I feel you have that skill. You are going to do well. Congrats and thank you for this wonderful story :).

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by shalzz9 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 am
ur story is inspiring :)

Good job and Good luck with the future :)

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

by gkumar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 pm
Fantastic story! Congratulations and thanks for a great story. For money, I'd definitely apply for fellowships, teaching positions, and part-time jobs at Stern to help you with some expenses. Hopefully you can qualify for some good student loans too. And I <3 NYPL...I'm definitely rooting for the cuts to be reduced or removed!

by MissTee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm
Wow this story is very inspiring! I will be applying to NYU for the fall 2011 full time MBA program. I am currently unemployed due to lay-offs from my last position, and I feel like I have sooo much to say from the experience as well as wanting to go back to school, which is something that i've put off because of work. Im hoping that I can express these feelings in my essays. NYU is a great school, and like you, i feel it is a fit for me because of the industry that I want to get into (planning to do a concentration in media & entertainment). So yes...NYU is my number one choice! Please keep your fingers crossed for me! Congrats on your wonderful news and I wish you the best during your tenure there! I hope i will get as lucky as you!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bg2010 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm
Congrats dude!
If you dont mind could you post as to what sort of materials you referred to write the essays. Appreciate if you post the title of books, articles etc..

by MissTee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 pm
Yes, I agree with @bg2010....that would be fab if you could give us advice on the materials you used or referred to to aid in helping you write your essays! Im all ears for that! Im in the process of doing mine now, and I really want that part to stand out! Any suggestions and/or advice would be awesome!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by clawhammer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am
congrats to you! it just shows how top schools admit "real" people, people who actually achieved a lot more than numbers. btw your gmat score does show just how much impact you can make when you focus, that score's really high compared to your gpa, and i think that's a very strong part that everyone notices. you also seem like a genuine, down-to-earth person; i might have worked for just 3+ years, but i've seen how such people shine in the real world.

can you please share with us some of the insights about NYU, what should we know, what should surprise me?

keep up being yourself - and all the best!