Period - Lasting longer - SC-Test 6 pdf

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Period - Lasting longer - SC-Test 6 pdf

by garson0in » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:39 am
Q14 -
Almost the only evidence of the presence of human beings on the earth for a period longer than half a million years are vast quantities of stone tools.

a)longer than half a million years are
b)of more than half a million years are
c) of more than half a million years is
d) lasting longer than half a million years is
e) of longer than half a million years are

I understand that the verb are is incorrect. Therefore the options are reduced to C and D. The OA is C. Both seem correct to me. How do we arrive at the conclusion ?

by garson0in » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:14 am
Could anyone please resolve this query ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by givemeanid » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:25 pm
D implies 'period' lasted longer than half million years. That is incorrect. The 'human beings' lasted longer than half million years.
So It Goes

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
garson0in wrote:Q14 -
Almost the only evidence of the presence of human beings on the earth for a period longer than half a million years are vast quantities of stone tools.

a)longer than half a million years are
b)of more than half a million years are
c) of more than half a million years is
d) lasting longer than half a million years is
e) of longer than half a million years are

I understand that the verb are is incorrect. Therefore the options are reduced to C and D. The OA is C. Both seem correct to me. How do we arrive at the conclusion ?
'period of more than' doesn't make any sense. 'period more than' or 'period longer than' makes sense.

The only choice that makes sense to me is [A]. Is that correct? What is OA and explanation please?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

lOGICAL INTERPETATION

by gmatjandro » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:35 pm
I think we have to go with logical interpretation here. Period of human being existed is still continue in the present .

by garson0in » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 am
My doubt is not cleared yet. Could anyone else help ?

Followed by:6 members

by BTGmoderatorRO » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:07 am
'vast quantities of stone tools' this is should attract a plural verb. Thus, all option that has 'is' as the preceding verb are automatically invalid.
Option A.
' a period of' this would have been a better synchronism with the sentence. Thus this option is wrong.

Option B.
This is the correct answer.This option perfectly satisfies the proper usage of tenses and grammar, the use of 'a million years' is instrumental to why this option is given a nod.

Option C.
'is' this is the only difference between option B and option C. Mind you the question was talking about 'vast quantities of tool stones' so it must attract a plural verb.

Option D.
wrong English construction that is even visible to a blind man. Thus this option is incorrect.

Option E.
'of longer than' that is an awkward construction. It should have been better re-structured.