760 (Q50, V42)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

760 (Q50, V42)

by Veinard » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm
I think that to achieve a good score you need to follow next steps:

- Outline all question types that are tested on the GMAT.
- Take a couple of practice tests without any preparation. The purpose of this step is to find out your current level. When I first tried GMAT Prep my scores were 720 for the first test and 710 for the second one.
- Understand your weaknesses.
- Work on your weaknesses.

This could sound quite banal, however, that was my strategy. I found out that I was scoring quite bad on sentence correction questions. So, I was unbelievably happy to find the Manhattan Sentence Correction on this site. It is really a great tool.

In my judgment, quantative questions are easy on the GMAT. The only task is to stay careful enough not to make stupid mistakes. If you score less than 50 on the quantative section my advice is to concentrate on it very much. The key word here is "PRACTICE". At high school I had a maths teacher who was a real genius. He told us next words: "Any person can score high on standardized tests. The only thing you need to do is solve at least 50 questions per day."

The sources:

- www.beatthegmat.com - THE BEST ONE! Learn all the material here by heart!

- Official Guide 11th edition - I solved every problem here 3 times. This book is very helpful.

- GMATPrep, PowerPrep. These software let me to feel comfotable on the real test date. (Questions here are very similar to thyose on the GMAT. However, Powerprep ones were slightly easier than GMAT questions.

- Hmmm... That's all. Oh, besides I have taken a free tutorial test on the Princeton Review web-site and scored 680. Problems on this site seem very different from real ones.

About me

I am a college senior from CIS. I believe that it is a good idea to take GMAT as early as possible.

A question to you

My big mistake that I did not pay any attention to AWA section. My AWA score is just 4.5 (49%). Do you think that MBA programs will pay muich attention to this result?

PS Feel free to ask any questions. I am not the greatest narrator ever, so I feel much easier to answer questions rather than just telling a story!

GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE! :D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beny » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 pm
What's CIS?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:45 am
Congrats Veinard,
glad to know the forum helped :)
beny wrote:What's CIS?
;)
Russia and her sister countries :lol:

Legendary Member

Re: 760 (Q50, V42)

by aim-wsc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:59 am
Veinard wrote: A question to you

My big mistake that I did not pay any attention to AWA section. My AWA score is just 4.5 (49%). Do you think that MBA programs will pay muich attention to this result?

PS Feel free to ask any questions. I am not the greatest narrator ever, so I feel much easier to answer questions rather than just telling a story!

GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE! :D
AWA score doesnt carry much importance in MBA application.

you HAVE written structured story there ;)
while you'll get some queries on this thread, you can check out GMAT strategy section to help out other members as well :)

by nyotamalaika » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:56 am
Hi i am new to this forum, and would like to know where to get the GMAT prep test? Thx

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:52 pm
nyotamalaika wrote:Hi i am new to this forum, and would like to know where to get the GMAT prep test? Thx
Hi nyotamalaika,
welcome to the community :)
You will get those on official GMAT site www.mba.com

check this link out: https://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... n2006.html

by nyotamalaika » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:25 am
Thank you very much.