This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

From X to Y

by gmat740 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:23 am
I have learned that the correct idiom is
From X to Y

But this question has bothered me to think in a different way. Please take a look

By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.
A. their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
C. to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
D. in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges

OA E

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:36 am
Between B and E,
i Chose E, because in E , which correctly modifies the noun preceeding it (market)

"By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.

but in E there is another problem.
As per Manhattan "Of the X's should be avoided", but this is not the case here, however B avoids that construction.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by madhur_ahuja » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 am
Also in B, which is incorrectly referring to country rather than market.

E is the correct answer.

MBA Student

by gmat740 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am
madhur_ahuja wrote:Also in B, which is incorrectly referring to country rather than market.

E is the correct answer.
I agree to what you said above. But my question is regarding the idiomatic construction.
Let me write down both the sentences
B. from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
From X to Y
E. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which ranges
To X from Y

Now lets have a discussion.
To my knowledge, if a sentence is idiomatically incorrect, then we don't need to check out other aspects like style, grammar etc.

Correct me if I am wrong

by madhur_ahuja » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:38 am
gmat740 wrote:
madhur_ahuja wrote:Also in B, which is incorrectly referring to country rather than market.

E is the correct answer.
I agree to what you said above. But my question is regarding the idiomatic construction.
From X to Y
To X from Y

To my knowledge, if a sentence is idiomatically incorrect, then we don't need to check out other aspects like style, grammar etc.

Correct me if I am wrong
The point is .

From X to Y
being idiomatically correct doesn't makes To X from Y idiomatically incorrect.

You could have argued had it been:
With X to Y
From X on Y

IMO From X to Y and to X from Y are very simple English phrases and both are correct, you cannot argue which one is correct out of both.

by cata1yst » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 am
madhur_ahuja wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

E is the correct answer.
From X to Y
To X from Y

Correct me if I am wrong
The point is .

From X to Y

With X to Y
From X on Y

IMO From X to Y and to X from Y are very simple English phrases and both are correct, you cannot argue which one is correct out of both.
This is right. They are both acceptable on GMAT.

MBA Student

by gmat740 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:14 pm
madhur_ahuja wrote:
gmat740 wrote:

E is the correct answer.
From X to Y
To X from Y

Correct me if I am wrong
The point is .

From X to Y

With X to Y
From X on Y

Thanks a lot guys. I never knew that both are acceptable forms in GMAT.