Utilities Merger SC - GMATPrep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:600

Utilities Merger SC - GMATPrep

by JTizzle » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:45 pm
Hi All,

Got a question on my GMATPrep exam that I'm struggling to explain.

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' services areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

a. same
b. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open
c. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening
d. company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening
e. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

will post answer in subsequent post.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Re: Utilities Merger SC - GMATPrep

by Sher1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:53 pm
JTizzle wrote:Hi All,

Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' services areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

a. same
b. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open
c. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening
d. company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening
e. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

E

A gas and electric companies not company

B are does not agree with singular merger

C are does not agree with merger

D seems like the meger is intending whereas the act of the merger intends

E seems correct

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by JTizzle » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:58 pm
Hi Sher,

You are correct e is the official answer. Thank you for the reply.

Can you explain to me why the present tense is preferable over the progressive tense?

Also why would you want to repeat 'company.... leading electric company' again? Isn't it redundant or is it necessary for clarity?

I chose A as my answer since 'merger' agreed with the verb used and it was the shortest answer.

Legendary Member

Re: Utilities Merger SC - GMATPrep

by nervesofsteel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:07 pm
JTizzle wrote:Hi All,

a. same

b. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open <- We are talking of one merger.. not MERGERS..... so Are is wrong here..

e. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open < - correct

In A the sentence sounds like there is only one company which is the leading Gan and electric company of the nation.. So merger doesn't make sense here....

SO Choose E....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cata1yst » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:06 am
JTizzle wrote:Hi Sher,

You are correct e is the official answer. Thank you for the reply.

Can you explain to me why the present tense is preferable over the progressive tense?

Also why would you want to repeat 'company.... leading electric company' again? Isn't it redundant or is it necessary for clarity?

I chose A as my answer since 'merger' agreed with the verb used and it was the shortest answer.
Present tense is needed because merger is singular, hence "is".

You need to repeat company to show the merger is between the two companies. "Gas and electrical company" makes it look like that is only one of the businesses.