Because...therefore construction

This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Because...therefore construction

by gmat740 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 pm
There has been a lot of debate to this question :

170. Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible earlier overpayments.
(A) and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible
(B) so therefore the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
(C) therefore the investigators were unable to determine the possible extent of
(D) the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
(E) the investigators were unable to determine the extent of possible

[spoiler]OA-E
IMO-C[/spoiler]

The reason to eliminate C was : Because....therefore construction makes C redundant
Please check the link below.
https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... plain.html

Now here is another question :

169. Because the enemy’s new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.
(A) and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
(B) it is therefore the most elusive of submarines, and it has increased the view
(C) and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
(D) and therefore it is the most elusive of submarines, there is an increasing view
(E) therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed

ALL the answers have Because...therefore construction. So is the entire sentence incorrect??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by target790 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:50 pm
Therefore is redundant here.That leaves D and E.

E is better construction than D.

word possible should modify "earlier overpayments" which is done correctly in E.

But in C "possible extent of earlier overpayments" is a awkward construction.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by target790 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 pm
169:
----------

Among A ,C and E (because ofpresence of increasingly viewed)I 'll go for C for it's concise structure

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Because...therefore construction

by btg760 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 am
gmat740 wrote:There has been a lot of debate to this question :

170. Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible earlier overpayments.
(A) and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible
(B) so therefore the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
(C) therefore the investigators were unable to determine the possible extent of
(D) the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
(E) the investigators were unable to determine the extent of possible

[spoiler]OA-E
IMO-C[/spoiler]

The reason to eliminate C was : Because....therefore construction makes C redundant
Please check the link below.
https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... plain.html

Now here is another question :

169. Because the enemy’s new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.
(A) and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
(B) it is therefore the most elusive of submarines, and it has increased the view
(C) and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
(D) and therefore it is the most elusive of submarines, there is an increasing view
(E) therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed

ALL the answers have Because...therefore construction. So is the entire sentence incorrect??
Hmm... You point out the similarity between the above two question but still for one question a construction is correct whereas for other it is incorrect.

So there must be flaw somewhere. Let's look out for the difference that you missed.

Question 170:

Option C:
Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, therefore the investigators were unable to determine the possible extent of earlier overpayments.

Because + clause + COMMA + THEREFORE + another clause

Option E:
Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, the investigators were unable to determine the extent of possible earlier overpayments.

Because + clause + COMMA + another clause.

Question 169:

Option C:
Because the enemy’s new ship is the quietest and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.

Because + clause + NO COMMA + conjunction 1 + therefore + another clause.

Conclusion: I hope by now if you have got my point. But let me summarize it in words. In question no:170, COMMA plays an important role. If the first clause is start by Because and followed by COMMA then for second clause you don't need the word 'therefore'. COMMA itself means that next clause is conclusion from previous clause.

Same goes with ALTHOUGH...BUT construction.

1. ALTHOUGH he is working hard BUT still he is far away from success.
2. ALTHOUGH he is working hard, still he is far away from success.

Hope this helps...

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 am
Wow! Thanks a lot BTG760

Can you provide me with some links etc where I can find rules like these.
I am not so good in dealing Clause etc.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by btg760 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 am
gmat740 wrote:Wow! Thanks a lot BTG760

Can you provide me with some links etc where I can find rules like these.
I am not so good in dealing Clause etc.
I just applied CR techniques (flaw in the reasoning) and experience with ALTHOUGH...BUT construction and it fits well. :D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by brick2009 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:11 am
Is it C?

The first part of the sentence talks abt: new ship is the quietest --> Singular

B,D,E -->most elusive of submarines --> should it not be submarine? (singular)

Left with A & C

A is wrong.. It is therefore => is wrong construction

Therefore --> basically introduces a statement that is a consequence of the previous statement

for example:
You screwed up and therefore you are screwed.
You screwed up and it is therefore you are screwed.

So C is the left.. hence the solution

Can anyone plz.. correct my Plural--elimination of Submarines.. is that a correct elimination.. or was i wrong??

new ship= .Submarine...

btg760--- thanks for that explanation..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by xandertan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 am
I think the word "therefore" in this sentence is the continuation of the "quietest". In my mind, I can break this sentence into two separate sentences:
1. Because the enemy's new ship is the quietest, the military keeps an eye on it.
2. The enemy's new ship is the most elusive submarine because it is the quietest.

But I can't break sentence #170 into two sentences; the word "therefore" is redundant.[/quote]