770! - after a shocking 610 on first attempt

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

770! - after a shocking 610 on first attempt

by szaronsj » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm
Just finished the GMAT and received a 770 (50 q 44v). This was my second attempt on the GMAT.

My first experience was as follows:
I began studying around February by taking the Princeton Review class and actually took the test in May. This was probably a mistake, but my work schedule made it difficult to consistently study over this period of time. Nevertheless, I was scoring in the 700+ range on practice exams with Princeton Review and GMATPrep, on which I scored a 720 three days before I took the actual exam. The last PR test I took I scored a 750. I was confident going into the first test.

Obviously, I was shocked and stunned when I scored a 610 on the real test. Surprisingly, I was in the 47% on the quant section while verbal was still respectable. At the time I had no idea what I had done wrong. Looking back now, however, I think it had to do with timing. Specifically, I think the Princeton Review practice exams hurt my test taking strategy. On those tests, I was only missing 4-5 questions on the quant section to score in the 700+ range. This means that you cannot miss very many questions on the real test. When I came across a few tough questiosn on the real thing, I couldn't / wouldn't move forward and got caught up. After that I was rushing throughout the rest of the exam.

My experience the second time around:

I took a break from studying, only periodically reviewing GMAT material. Then I started studying more by mostly taking practice exams. Most helpful, I think, was the Manhattan GMAT tests. These tests really taught me how to move on if I could not get one question right. The math was also very difficult. I also supplemented this with Kaplan 800 and some Kaplan practice tests.

I took about 5 practice tests in the 1.5 weeks prior to the real thing. All scores were 700+, but none were 770. I scored a 740 on the GMATPrep two days prior to the real test. THe day before I reviewed material for 2 hours or so and relaxed the rest of the day. I also reviewed for about 45 mins today (day of the test).

During the test I found the math to be surprisingly easy. In fact, it was so easy that I thought I was bombing the math section again! I was hoping to get a 680, best case scenario. I think I have MGMAT to thank for this. Oddly enough, I did have one question on parabolic curves earlier in the test, which I had not come across on any other practice material. Other than that, most of the material I had come across and the math was MUCH easier than MGMAT.

So thank you to this board. It has been an excellent resource as I have prepared for the GMAT. Hopefully this will serve as encouragement for those of you who had an unsatisfactory score the first time around.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by givemeanid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm
Congrats on a great score! A double congrats for showing so much improvement. The point you make about PR tests making you feel like you need a lot of questions right to get a high score is very appropriate. I just took my first MGMAT CAT after exhausting all 4 PR tests and I could tell that I need to make some tweaks in my test taking strategy.

Reading your debrief gives me confidence that I can make enough tweaks in the next 2-3 weeks before the D-Day.

Thanks for the insight and congrats once again.
So It Goes

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dbaGMAT123 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 am
Thanks a bunch for that. I had a terrible first test and it is great to hear your story!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:26 am
congrats szaronsj

thats a BIG leap and a great achievement!! :)