Q 65. OG11

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Q 65. OG11

by tanviet » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:40 am
the only way for grower to salvage frozen citrus is //to process them quickly in to juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns//

a,

b,if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

c, for them to be processed quckly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer wheather returns

d, if the fruit is quckly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

e, to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit

here E is correct and OG11 said that " to salvage must be parallel to to have" I do not understand. here we have " only way" parallel "to have" and this is not parallel because noun can not paralel infinitive. Normaly, we need "to do1" parallel "to do2". here we do not have this case. PLs explain.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vinayakdl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 am
I agree with E,

"is" is a verb of being and sentence part on both sides of it must be parallel, hence i think "to" is needed to start the next part, the pronoun "it" is needed instead of "them" (here) and hence I think E is better.

Vinayak

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yokery » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 pm
Can someone explain why A is not right?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by btg760 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:34 pm
yokery wrote:Can someone explain why A is not right?
A, B, C, D are wrong because of SVA error. Check these options have THEM/THEY and neither THEY or THEM agrees with either Frozen citrus or Grower.

So the only option left is (E)