Is 710 good enough for top 5 B schools?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is 710 good enough for top 5 B schools?

by supernova24 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:01 am
Hi ,

I am planning to apply for the class of 2012 and have few questions in the same regard. First a snapshot of my profile:

1. Female / 25 years / Graduation from top undergrad school of India : Indian Institute of Technology Bombay/ CGPA: 8.43/10 , Department Rank : 5

2. GMAT : 710 (92%) , Quant : 50 ( 94%) , Verbal : 34 (69%) , AWA: 5

3. Working in an International Investment bank (Structuring Profile) since last 2 years (total work ex at the time of joining will be 3+ years) . I have a good career progression and have around 6-7 months of international experience in Singapore and London. After MBA short term plan (2-3 years) is to continue in the same sector. Long term plan is to start my own business in social sector. Active in organizing events in compant, part of recuitment panel and mentor for fresh graduates.

4. I have quite a bit of extra curricular activities at school and institute level, right from school captain, to head of various cultural and fine-art events in IIT. I have served as institute mentor and have received 5-6 organizational and leadership awards. I have also won several awards in fine arts and sports in intra and inter collegiate events. I am also a part of international NGO and heading its fund collection campaign in India.

Questions:
1. Is my work experience (3+ at the time of joining) enough for top B - schools.

2 I am planning to apply to Harvard, Stanford, London Business School and Chicago Booth in round 1. Please let me know if I need to change (add/ delete) any schools to this list.

3 How much importance is given to GMAT score while reviewing the application? Do some schools like Stanford particularly prefer students with GMAT of 730 and above? Should I consider giving GMAT again or spend the next 2.5 months on writing good essays?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Dear supernova24,

1. Is my work experience (3+ at the time of joining) enough for top B - schools.
In terms of quantity, yes over 3 years of experience is enough. However, it is not just the quantity; the quality of your experience is what really counts. Based on your post, it appears you have some progression and increase in responsibility, so that should serve you well.

2 I am planning to apply to Harvard, Stanford, London Business School and Chicago Booth in round 1. Please let me know if I need to change (add/ delete) any schools to this list.
Those are all great programs, but they are also some of the most competitive programs. I would suggest adding 1-2 safety schools to your list.

3 How much importance is given to GMAT score while reviewing the application? Do some schools like Stanford particularly prefer students with GMAT of 730 and above? Should I consider giving GMAT again or spend the next 2.5 months on writing good essays?
I don't know that 20 points is going to make much of a difference in the admissions decision. If you think you can raise your score more than 20, then it might be worth a retake. However, I would not spend time preparing for the GMAT at the expense of your essays. Your essays, recommendations and interviews are critical to the process and will be instrumental in your decision.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by supernova24 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:41 am
Thanks for your reply Lisa.
Which schools will you advice as safety schools for my profile?
Do you think 710 can hamper my chances in any of the top 5 B schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:27 pm
Safety schools are generally going to be schools where you are above the GMAT average, at or above the GPA average, and are a good match for your career goals. While your GMAT and GPA will not guarantee admission, they will make you more attractive to the school. Thus you still need to submit a great, overall package.

I don't think your 710 hampers your chances, but it is not going to distinguish you either. You want to have a great overall application package providing a compelling reason for offering you a seat over other applicants.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by supernova24 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 pm
Thanks a lot for your advice Lisa.