Concerns on GMAT scoring

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Concerns on GMAT scoring

by rcurr_182 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 am
Guys,

I usually just browse forums like these and reads others posts, however I do have some major concerns about getting into a graduate program.

I recently took my GMAT for the first time, completely unprepared and not focued. I made the mistake of not taking this test seriously. I, as most I am sure do on here, work full time and simply thought I will do OK without studying and get in with my other credentials. Well I didnt and scored in the 400s, granted to say I got what I deserved.
I also set-up two universities I am planning on applying to at the beginning of the test and now regretting it. I am embarassed of these scores and the last thing I want is for the schools that I want to go to receiving these.

I am not looking for amazing scores, maybe mid-500s can get me in. I guess my questions are:

Is there anyway to cancel these scores, as I already called?
How will this look for me later down the line when I retake the test and apply?
As I am not planning on taking prep courses, due to time available and financial reasons, what should be done to be more comfortable and kick these up 100 points.

The only real good thing about this situation is that I did so bad, increasing these scores that much isn't impossible.

Help! :shock:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:12 am
No there is no way to cancel your scores once you've seen them unfortunately. I'm sorry the test didn't go better, but there isn't a single school that will look down on you for taking the test twice, or even three times, so I wouldn't worry that you need to take it again. You can just send them your new scores before you apply.

A score in the 400s indicates that you are lacking in the basics. I would by the OG 12, and a HS math book, maybe Manhattan SC guide (improving SC is probably the simplest way to improve your V score) so that you can do some review. In the OG, if you're just targeting the mid 500s, I wouldn't spend overmuch time on the last 1/3 of each section, since those are where the more difficult, 680+ questions are.

I don't know how long you have before you retake, but if you're not taking a course, I would look into purchasing some practice tests. For your level of ability, any test company should be able to help with bumping up the 100 points or so (MGMAT seems to be favored around here, and they give you fantastic analytics on your performance). Definitely download and do the GMATPrep tests, and after each practice test, spend a long time going over your answers, especially the ones you got wrong or guessed on. Don't just know why you got it wrong, learn why it was wrong and why you chose the answer you did so that you don't make a mistake.

Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rcurr_182 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 am
Thanks for your quick reply. I will certainly work on these areas and get these guides.

I found out that I cant cancel my scores now, I should have just left this area blank and if I liked my scores pay the extra to send them out. I will do that in the future.

I just hope if I get my targeted score it wont be discredited because of my first score. That they see the big improvements instead. Like I said my goal is to just get into a well-rounded school, and I have everything other than my test scores.

I will certainly post and update later when I take my second test and hope this lead to a success story at the end of the day.

Thanks.