One-One Rule

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

One-One Rule

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:57 am
Hi All,

As per Kaplan, pronoun "One" cannot refer to anything except "one"....

e.g. that Kaplan gives is:

A person should never do XYZ.....if "one" want PQR.

Here Kaplan says that pronoun "one" cannot refer to "A person".

But it seems that the same is not followed by GMAT strictly....Can someone please tell what is the case? For e.g. in the below question from OG 10, Q9...

The reason to kick out A and B that OG gives is "The pronoun that in A and B should be deleted, since the pronoun one is sufficient to introduce the modifier and the sentence is more fluid without that."

Kindly help me understand this concept.

===============================================
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by Domnu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:40 am
I would eliminate A and B mainly because a supernova is being compared to a set of supernovae.
Have you wondered how you could have found such a treasure? -T

Re: One-One Rule

by El Cucu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:40 am
===============================================
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of[/quote]

This is not an easy sentence... My analysis:
A and B are wrong as they have the pronoun that so "one+that" is redundant.
B and C out as they have "it" (but it is already said "one" so "it" is redundant)
A and D out as the Idiom is believe to be.

Finally, there is a meaning issue here. Explosion... of a type or explosion... a type? The meaning should be "of a type" it is like a subgroup of explosions.

Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 am
El Cucu wrote: Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one.
Thanks. But the example that Kaplan gives is that

A person....one...

They say "one" cannot refer to "person"...

As per Kaplan...."Never use one or one's to refer to any antecedent except one"....

But in the case of the OG question "one" seems to be referring to "explosion"....

Looks like either I am misunderstanding something or Kaplan and OG are not matching each other....

by El Cucu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
El Cucu wrote: Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one.
Thanks. But the example that Kaplan gives is that

A person....one...

They say "one" cannot refer to "person"...

As per Kaplan...."Never use one or one's to refer to any antecedent except one"....

But in the case of the OG question "one" seems to be referring to "explosion"....

Looks like either I am misunderstanding something or Kaplan and OG are not matching each other....
In that specific issue about one, I think you are right.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:59 pm
El Cucu wrote: In that specific issue about one, I think you are right.
Sorry I could not get the same....please tell me can we forget about the rule that Kaplan suggests....please help me clarify the same...

Basically to what all "one" refer in GMAT.... ? What rule does GMAT follow for "one" usage ?

by El Cucu » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
El Cucu wrote: In that specific issue about one, I think you are right.
Sorry I could not get the same....please tell me can we forget about the rule that Kaplan suggests....please help me clarify the same...

Basically to what all "one" refer in GMAT.... ? What rule does GMAT follow for "one" usage ?
Just follow the following and it will be enough:

"Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one."

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 pm
Thanks El Cucu

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 am
El Cucu wrote:"Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one."
Thanks El Cucu for clearing the earlier doubt... Can you please tell is it ok to mix one with He/she....for e.g.

"One should not eat so much and then be surprised when "he or she" becomes fatty"

by El Cucu » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:
El Cucu wrote:"Regarding ONE. It is an indefinite pronoun. Remember this rule only. We can´t mix one with you. Ej: "One should not eat so much and then be surprised when you are fat". We should repeat one w/ one."
Thanks El Cucu for clearing the earlier doubt... Can you please tell is it ok to mix one with He/she....for e.g.

"One should not eat so much and then be surprised when "he or she" becomes fatty"
NO WRONG!

It is considered grammatically incorrect to use more than one type of pronoun in a general statement. Ej By working everyday, one may obtain the results she desires. (incorrect must use one w/ one).

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 am
Thanks!!