740. 77/99 Q/V split. Thoughts?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

740. 77/99 Q/V split. Thoughts?

by bigeater1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 pm
I'm satisfied with my score and don't plan to retake. However, I didn't quite make the 80/80 Q/V split that admissions people often talk about. Any thoughts? Is the 77 Quant going to be that big of an issue when applying to a top tier like Stanford?

I am a bio-science major, and am planning on taking some quant classes to bolster my app a bit.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cata1yst » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:22 pm
Stop bitching and looking for attention.

People would kill for that score.

720 or 760...there is no difference when applying to Stanford. Your whole profile will matter. Do some research...

Enough of these people that post 700+ scores and cry about it...

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:48 pm
Hi bigeater1,

Congrats on a great score! I am no admission expert here but with a good profile/application u have a great chance to get admitted in a top B school i.e. with ur gmat socre/breakdown.

I would post the specific question that u have on Q/V breakdown in admissions consultants section of this forum and I am sure you would get a reliable response. I am sure others here may have some thoughts but you can also go ahead and post it in admissions consultants section of the forum. Just a suggestion...

Good luck!

Regards,
CR

by bigeater1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 pm
cramya, thank you for the congrats. and good advice on reposting in the admissions consultants section. i think i will do that.

and cata1yst, in my post, i actually mentioned that "I'm satisfied with my score and don't plan to retake" the test. the question i posed was specifically about my quant-verbal split. but thanks for the flattery, and good luck on your applications. =)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:03 am
bigeater1, You got a great score, man.

Enjoy!
AJ

by AceofSpades » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:17 am
Congrats on the 740!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ssmiles08 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:24 am
OH hey hey hey! nice to see a fellow bio major like myself! :)

congrats on your score....can you tell us how you prepped for verbal?

by bigeater1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:54 pm
ssmiles08,

i bought the manhattan gmat series of books off of craigslist. i thoroughly reviewed all of the concepts in each of the verbal categories - reading comp, critical reasoning, sentence correction. i found the explanations of concepts very helpful, but i did not subscribe to their test-taking strategies, which involved keeping an ongoing outline of passages (RC), and paraphrasing sentences (CR). I found them too time consuming. I just made sure to maintain a laser-focus, and to read EVERY SINGLE WORD of every question carefully, while taking mental notes along the way. for instance,

-- while reading a passage, as i come across a main idea, i re-read it and take a mental note that that is a main idea.

-- as i read a critical reasoning argument, i take mental notes of which sentences are premises, which are conclusions, and i automatically try to find a whole in the argument.

-- and for sentence corrections, i read the question, and take mental notes of issues i find wrong with the underlined portions (subject-verb agreement, noun/pronoun, etc.). then i try to corroborate with the answer choices.

but the single piece of advice that helped me the most was: For EVERY SINGLE QUESTION, there is something identifiably wrong with FOUR answer choices. Find those mistakes, and eliminate those choices as fast as possible.

Hope that helps. Good luck!