olympic games...

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

olympic games...

by shipra » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:18 pm
94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: olympic games...

by glettian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:53 pm
shipra wrote:94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
C, it is the most active voice

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by sulabh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 am
I think it is A.
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month (CORRECT)
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month (INCORRECT,suggests that Olympic games proclaimed the truce)
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month(INCORRECT,'they' is ambigous)
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival (INCORRECT,suggests that truce was proclaimed in month called 'festival')
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival(INCORRECT,suggests that Olympic games proclaimed the truce)
750(Q50,V40)

Followed by:1 members

by pranavc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:28 am
I am going with E. What is the official answer?

OA

by ektamatta » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:03 pm
i think C...what is OA?

by chidcguy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:21 pm
If I am not mistaken this is a OG question and the answer is D

(A) in that is used to show a reason

(B) the olympic games themselves are proclaiming truce??

(C) When ( I don't see a time) More over they is ambiguous Is it the states or the games

(E) E is passive voice and also sounds as if the games themselves have proclaimed truce.

I chose A for the awkward formation of D when I did this Q first time. I feel that this is either a very tough Q or badly formed Question

Ian/Stuart??
Please do not post answer along with the Question you post/ask

Let people discuss the Questions with out seeing answers.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:14 pm
Well, B, C and E are all out, because in each case, the sentence appears to say that the Games proclaimed the truce, which is clearly an impossibility. Grammatically, A and D are both fine, and both adequately convey the intended meaning of the sentence, so it's down to style and idiom. 'For' is more economical than 'in that', and stylistically is preferable. But the clincher for me is the phrase 'festival's month' in A. I find it preferable to write 'month of the festival' -- just as we wouldn't say 'during June's month'; we would say 'during the month of June'.

Still, it's these SC questions that test fine points of style and idiom (some of which are debatable, certainly, and there are exceptions to the usage I describe above, where we do use a possessive with 'month') that are often the most difficult. In this question, it's important to see why B, C and E are wrong- that's tested in many SC questions- but I wouldn't be as concerned about the distinction between A and D, which is based on points of style you may never encounter again.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by perfectstranger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:25 pm
Could someone explain the meaning of the following sentence?

Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

by perfectstranger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 pm
I got it

D because for preposition here means because
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

GMAT Score:740

by Domnu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:34 pm
I agree that the answer should be D...

A is passive. B, C are out since the Olympic Games themselves don't set up a truce. E is out since it is wordy and awkward.
Have you wondered how you could have found such a treasure? -T

GMAT Score:680

by hemanth28 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 am
Domnu wrote:I agree that the answer should be D...

A is passive. B, C are out since the Olympic Games themselves don't set up a truce. E is out since it is wordy and awkward.
If A is passive so is D.That cant be the reason why A is out.

Ian thanks for the explanation.
GMAT First take :- 680
Getting the guns ready for second shot !!!
https://beatenbygmat.blocked

Legendary Member

by real2008 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:43 am
Domnu wrote:I agree that the answer should be D...

Don't u think that D is also passive?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm
Ian Stewart wrote:Well, B, C and E are all out, because in each case, the sentence appears to say that the Games proclaimed the truce, which is clearly an impossibility. Grammatically, A and D are both fine, and both adequately convey the intended meaning of the sentence, so it's down to style and idiom. 'For' is more economical than 'in that', and stylistically is preferable. But the clincher for me is the phrase 'festival's month' in A. I find it preferable to write 'month of the festival' -- just as we wouldn't say 'during June's month'; we would say 'during the month of June'.

Still, it's these SC questions that test fine points of style and idiom (some of which are debatable, certainly, and there are exceptions to the usage I describe above, where we do use a possessive with 'month') that are often the most difficult. In this question, it's important to see why B, C and E are wrong- that's tested in many SC questions- but I wouldn't be as concerned about the distinction between A and D, which is based on points of style you may never encounter again.
Hi Ian,

Is it that NON LIVING entities cannot take possessive...or is it just a word order that ur considering

i mean we can very well say
the car's tinted glass is black -- car, non living
the dog's tail is black --- dog , living

Here,

Although no proof yet exists of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat, mounting scientific evidence has convinced many experts that there is cause for concern.
(A) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances posing any health threat
(B) of electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances that pose any threat to health
(C) that electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances pose any threat to health
(D) that poses any threat to health from electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances
(E) for any health threat posed by electromagnetic fields generated by household appliances

OA is C

Choosing A would mean that " FIELDS' POSING " which is wrong usage

I AM CONFUSED WITH THESE POSSESSIVE setups!!

Q3

Q 118 OG 12

Here, HUMAN BEINGS' is used !

Followed by:3 members

by farooq » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:11 am
shipra wrote:94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival�s month
These are two independent clauses and they should be joined by special conjunctions (FANBOYS).

"in that" can be grammatically correct but use of "for" is best.
Regards,
Farooq Farooqui.
London. UK

It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond of the possessive / non-living question.

It isn't the case that non-living things can never be in possessive form. The issue is whether the particular combination of words makes sense / can be true.

"The car's leather seats are black" is fine because the car does "possess" the leather seats. The leather seats "belong" to the car.

"The car's proclamation that speeding is dangerous..." is not okay because the car cannot make a proclamation. "The car owner's proclamation that speeding is dangerous" is okay because a car owner can make a proclamation.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me