dmateer's GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

dmateer's GMAT

by dmateer25 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 am
Well, I took the GMAT today. I am not going to write a real long debrief right now, but I will in the next few days.

My score was as follows:

690 88th percentile
Q44 70th percentile :evil:
V41 92nd percentile :D

One thing I will say is I am not too happy with the Quant. I was expecting between 47 and 49. The fact that I got 44 and it is only 70th percentile worries me. Right now I am not sure if I will retake or not. Any thoughts are welcome!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Claret » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:43 am
your verbal score is super!! does it come naturally to you ? Any tips/strategies to improvise on verbal?

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am
Thanks, Claret. It looks like you and I are in a similar situation, but with opposite sections.

My prep consisted of CR Bible and Manhattan SC. I read both twice.

I was kind of overwhelmed by the CR Bible the first time and didn't quite grasp everything in it. But the second time I read it, things really started to make sense. This was definitely my strongest area in verbal. If I had to guess I probably missed only 1 or 2 CR questions on the test.

With SC, English is my first language so it helps that at time I am able to use my ear. Manhattan SC really helped me, but this was still my weakest area in verbal.

With RC, I just took my time and tried to actively read the passages. I always try to look for the authors main point and tone while I am reading. I know this is pretty general, but I found that after practicing 10 to 15 passages RC became fairly easy for me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Claret » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:05 pm
i guess having English as a first is certainly an advantage.. while you guys can bank on your ear for SC, we have no option but to apply the set rules !!

anyways, all the best for your apps! just curious, which schools are you targeting?

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 pm
Good score Dmateer(especially Verbal). I am sure u r a 47-51 in Quant.

Di u miss early questions or something in Quant?

Congrats on a 690 and all the very best! If u have time and are not in a hurry then yes give it another shot if u r not happy with ur Quant score.

Regards,
CR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ssmiles08 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:27 pm
Congrats dmateer25! It's still a very good score and I do agree with Cramya! I thought you were a shoe in for 49 or above in quant! I even learn't some things from your posts! :) Did you miss some traps in the quant section? I hear the questions do tend to be somewhat tricky...

Also could you tell us your hit rates in your verbal practice? (SC and CR)...how long did it take you to prepare for verbal in general?

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 pm
cramya wrote:Good score Dmateer(especially Verbal). I am sure u r a 47-51 in Quant.

Di u miss early questions or something in Quant?

Congrats on a 690 and all the very best! If u have time and are not in a hurry then yes give it another shot if u r not happy with ur Quant score.

Regards,
CR
Thanks, Cramya!

I think I was a little anxious with the Quant in the beginning and that hurt me. I took a little extra time on problems that should have taken less than a minute. However, I did feel that towards the end I was doing pretty well. So if I had to guess, I would say I that I missed a number of early questions that probably set me back.

I have a lot of time before I am thinking about b-school and I know I can do much better, so I will probably give it another go.
ssmiles08 wrote: Congrats dmateer25! It's still a very good score and I do agree with Cramya! I thought you were a shoe in for 49 or above in quant! I even learn't some things from your posts! Smile Did you miss some traps in the quant section? I hear the questions do tend to be somewhat tricky...

Also could you tell us your hit rates in your verbal practice? (SC and CR)...how long did it take you to prepare for verbal in general?
Thanks, ssmiles!

I am going out to have a drink now, but when I get back later tonight I will put up all the stats from my error logs. Anything in particular that you would like to know?? Let me know and I will do my best to help.

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:53 pm
Claret wrote:i guess having English as a first is certainly an advantage.. while you guys can bank on your ear for SC, we have no option but to apply the set rules !!

anyways, all the best for your apps! just curious, which schools are you targeting?
Here is the list of schools that I am interested in at this point:

Tepper
Tuck (dream school)
Duke
Yale
Berkeley
Darden
Cornell

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 pm
Good score dmateer25! Good luck for your applications.

Cheers,
AJ

Community Manager

by dmateer25 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:01 am
Ok, so here was my hit rate for SC in OG 11:

Wrong: 34
Right: 95

About 74%

Here is my hit rate for SC in the verbal supplement:

Wrong: 26
Right: 87

About 77%

SC was definitely my weakest area in verbal. I am SURE that I missed the majority of my verbal questions in SC.

Here is my hit rate for CR in OG 11:

Wrong: 20
Right: 104

About 84%

I was pretty confident with that hit rate so I didn't even bother with the verbal supplement for CR.

I have to say, I really thought I would be in the opposite situation right now. I was expecting a Quant score around 48 and a verbal score around 38.

I think I am going to give the test another go. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from that 44 in quant.