Profile Evaluation Please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please

by elnino » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:28 pm
Hi Stacy, I’d really like to get your opinion on a matter. My aim is to go to a top MBA school and I believe my credentials would give me a decent shot, except for one thing. I was suspended while in college and this is something I will have to explain in my application. The violation was non-academic in nature (I didn’t cheat), it had more to do with student conduct at a school-sponsored event. The punishment was deserved, but it all boils down to a single moment of succumbing to peer pressure. It was very immature on my part. However, I believe I can paint the situation in a good light and prove how it has made me a better, more successful person. I’ve always done well academically, moreso after my suspension, and I’ve been a stellar performer, professionally. Moreover, this happened six years ago and I am far different person today than I was as an undergrad. However, I fear that admissions committees will just see it for what it is – a suspension notation on my transcript.

Personal Info:
Male, 26
GMAT: 690 (Q42, V41) – Mostly B+/A- in quant work at school might help mitigate the average GMAT quant score
Undergrad: Economics major/3.4 GPA from USC
Nationality: Filipino, raised in Hong Kong/Philippines

Work Experience:
(all in the Philippines)
1 year - Risk Management Associate for Deutsche Bank
2 years (current) – Strategic Planning Manager at a regional investment bank.
Recent achievements include: I was part of the team that led the country’s largest IPO in 2008 ($150 million). Currently, I’m heading the company’s expansion into online trading. The website will enable our clients to buy and sell stocks online while also providing them with our research. While this is a common service in developed countries, it is a pioneer industry in the Philippines.

Extracurricular:
After college, I started a social network website (i.e. Facebook) and worked on it part-time. The site was up for 2 years and attracted 10,000 users worldwide. I managed 4 web developers.
I was Vice President of the USC Tennis Club for 2 years (approx. 50 members)
My passion now is football and I play in an organized league every weekend.

Community Service:
I coach a youth football team in the community on weekends and help raise funds to support underprivileged youths.

Future:
Ultimately, I want to get an MBA from a top school, get some experience in consulting, and return to my current firm in a more senior capacity.

Schools:
Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, LBS, INSEAD

Questions:
1) In general, does a suspension automatically disqualify any chance I have at a top school?
2) Given my profile and background, do I currently have a shot at any of the schools I am looking at?
3) If not, is there anything I can do from here on to improve my chances? I am retaking the GMAT because I think I can improve my score. I am also considering a job at McKinsey. Would it help if I worked there before applying?

Thank you for your help. I want more than anything to get accepted into one of the programs I mentioned. However, I am a bit discouraged to think that a moment of immaturity six years ago will haunt me and hold me back now, considering how far I’ve come.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 am
Dear elnino,

1) In general, does a suspension automatically disqualify any chance I have at a top school?
No, this type of suspension will not automatically send you to the reject pile. We all make mistakes when we are young--some are just bigger than others. As long as you address it in your application and convey how it has made you a better person today, then I would not spend more energy worrying about it.

2) Given my profile and background, do I currently have a shot at any of the schools I am looking at?
I think you have a shot, but it all depends on how well you put your overall application together. Your GMAT is below the average for your target schools, but it is certainly within range. In essence, you want to give them a compelling case to offer you a seat in the class over other applicants. I do think you should add at least 1-2 safety schools to your list as a backup plan since your target list is quite selective.

3) If not, is there anything I can do from here on to improve my chances? I am retaking the GMAT because I think I can improve my score. I am also considering a job at McKinsey. Would it help if I worked there before applying?
I do think an increase in your GMAT of at least 10-20 points will strengthen your application as it will get you closer to/at the average. As for whether or not to change jobs, that is up to you based on what your overall plan is. Since you want to go into consulting, that makes sense, but don't change jobs because you think it will strengthen your application in some way. Just working for McKinsey is not going to add any additional value--it is what you do in your jobs that matters (i.e., contribution to the organization, accomplishments, etc.).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me