need help; going for 3

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

need help; going for 3

by nano124 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:09 pm
Hey guys,

I've been reading lots of the posts in this section and would like to get an impartial opinion but first my GMAT backgound:

1st attempt
-Took the GMAT last year in Aug scored a 540 (not at all what i wanted)
-Prep Materials for 1st attempt: Veritas Prep Course and OG Guide.
-Scored 580-600 average in the practice tests (Veritas & GMATprep)
-Scatter brained and anxious on day of the test

2nd attempt
-Took GMAT last week and scored a 470 (absolutely pathetic)
-Reviewed Veritas material, attempted MGMAT tests, Princeton Review, Kaplan, GMAT paper Tests and GMAT Focus.
-Scored 670-690 through all tests; almost all GMAT focus results were 40-48 (last one was 45-50).
-Test day still scatter brained and anxious (guessed last 12 question on quant and last 8 questions on verbal)

Now im at a loss for words. I thought that my second attempt was going to get be a score in the high 600s or low 700s; unfortunately i do not know what to do next. I have rescheduled the exam for early august and have contacted MGMAT for their private tutoring to shed some light on my weaknesses (other than the timing issue). Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Nano

by ronaldo780 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:42 am
Hi nano,

I'm facing the same time problem. I haven't taken the test yet but it's clear I won't get a good score unless I improve my timing strategies. Were there any tips in the Veritas course for that?

by nano124 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:23 am
Ronaldo,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Veritas was not too specific on time management skills. I have found though that the purchase of MGMAT CAT exams comes with a program that has both a timer and a multiple choice answer grid. These can be very beneficial in helping you pace yourself while you are attempting practice questions. My advice on improving your time is to never ever do a question without timing it i.e. every time you sit down to study or do a set of questions you should do so under real GMAT conditions. Hope this helps some. (back to the drawing board for me now).

Thanks.
Nano (Waiting to kick the GMAT's behind in Aug).