Disappointed in Verbal (Need Advice)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Disappointed in Verbal (Need Advice)

by Adevas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 am
I just completed the test.

recieved a 43in Quantative,
but a 19 on Verbal.

totalling 500.

My GMAT average on every prep software i had was 600. Must have been the test anxiety took a toll on me.

I need to raise the the Verbal quiet quickly probably in less than 3 weeks.
What recommendations do you guys have for me?

I will be on a constant state of travelling also, so a tutor would not be possible.

I have used Princeton and OG . i completed all the questions there and pretty much memorized them by now.

i'll be satisfied with a 550 targetting 600 though.

Let me know
thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Disappointed in Verbal (Need Advice)

by amazonviper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 am
Adevas wrote:I just completed the test.

recieved a 43in Quantative,
but a 19 on Verbal.

totalling 500.

My GMAT average on every prep software i had was 600. Must have been the test anxiety took a toll on me.

I need to raise the the Verbal quiet quickly probably in less than 3 weeks.
What recommendations do you guys have for me?

I will be on a constant state of travelling also, so a tutor would not be possible.

I have used Princeton and OG . i completed all the questions there and pretty much memorized them by now.

i'll be satisfied with a 550 targetting 600 though.

Let me know
thanks.
Have you found out which section of verbal (SC,RC,CR) are you comfortable and which section are you weak. You need to analyze your weakness and try to concentrate more on it.

3 weeks with you traveling around is not a luxury and hence smart work will be the way to attack this situation.

If SC is your weak point try to just browse through Manhattan SC.
Try doing some of the 1000CR to become more familiar.
Try to do couple of RC's while your traveling.

The reason I am stating the above is that you WILL HAVE to practice to know where you weakness is. Reading the concepts is not the same as solving the questions.

Again, don't over delve into one category too much since time is of the essence. If you haven't booked your date already I would suggest you book it say like a month or two away so that you can gain much more confidence in the verbal section.

All the best and I wish you own the GMAT in this attempt. :-)

by Adevas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 am
Thanks,

I think my Major weakness is SC.

by amazonviper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:56 pm
Adevas wrote:Thanks,

I think my Major weakness is SC.
The good in the bad is that a majority of the people have issues with SC. I would suggest that you buy the Manhattan SC guide as it is very very helpful and it gives you numerous methods to arrive at the right answer. Also make sure you familiarize with Idioms (this is key).

With a decent practice and time dedication, I am sure you can improve in this section. I am studying for the GMAT myself and I find the Manhattan SC to be very useful since I suck at SC too :-).

Hope this helps.

by Adevas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm
I've gone over this again and again.

I'm convienced that its anxiety, from the Math part (It felt i failed it drastically).

However, I really want to understand my mistakes in Both really.
I assume there is NO way to get the test to review question by question. right?

can it at least get a break down?
SC / CR / RC and how many were errors?

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 pm
I could be wrong, but I do not think they give breakdowns. It is far easier to improve in Math quickly than it is to do so in Verbal. With a lot of travel and only 3 weeks, it is going to be difficult to study enough to drastically improve your score. However, you should definitely be able to get to 550 if not 600, but the 700+ level will take more time. Just focus on the OG. If you have done it, just do it again and make sure to go over every single question and answer choice.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by shivayogimath » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:05 am
Adevas,

Please do not loose hope. I took my GMAT the first time and scored 640, Quants 46 and Verbal 33. I was very disappointed. I knew I could do better. I had prepared using Princeton, Kaplan, OG 11 and GMAT Prep exams. I decided to take the GMAT again. I analyzed what had gone wrong and came up with an approach. I went back to the basics of each topic and started preparing again. I especially put in a lot of effort in improving my verbal. I took the GMAT again in less than 20 days and scored 730, Quant 48 and Verbal 42. I have captured all my experience and my analysis in my blog, https://gmatbeeline.blocked/. Please visit my blog and see if it helps. I wish you the very best and I am sure you will get the score you are looking for.

Regards,
Shashi

by Adevas » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:29 am
i probably need to hit the basic w/ verbal hard in next 20 days.

the quntative is still fresh in my mind..

i probably need netter selection of snacks to.
i had only water

by amazonviper » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:13 am
Adevas wrote:i probably need to hit the basic w/ verbal hard in next 20 days.

the quntative is still fresh in my mind..

i probably need netter selection of snacks to.
i had only water
There you go!!...I am sure with decent prep and a better selection of snacks will do the trick!

All da best and let us know how it goes!!