GMAT based on gender/ethnicity

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT based on gender/ethnicity

by IamApplying » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:07 pm
Do you have comments regarding GMAT scores in comparison to gender and ethnicity. One website I read claims that average gmat and gmat 80% ranges are not accurate benchmarks because schools often must accept lower scores from certain minority groups as well as women who statistically tend to perform not as well as men and other certain minority groups. Thus for instance a white male will likely need to score in the upper end of the range, while the lower end of the range may be much more likely comprised of females and certain minorities which schools need to complete their diverse student body. Essentially without affirmative action, all top programs would have a gmat range of some thing like for instance 720-780.

Do you feel that certain groups (i.e. males, asians, indians) need to not only score within the 80% range, but also in the upper end.... for instance, indian/asian/white males, which I assume top programs get way too many applicants that fit this profile. While the lower end of the GMAT range is generally reserved for the female, underrepresented minorities, and very unique career backgrounds (not PE/IB/consult/corpfin).

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 am
Dear IAmApplying,

Thanks for your post! You raise a question that is the subject of much debate (as well as a fair amount of controversy).

At the end of the day, it's really important to think of the MBA admissions process as a highly complex multi-variable equation (with variables like GMAT, GPA, caliber of ugrad, ugrad major, work experience, leadership potential, teamwork exposure, career goals, outside interests, language skills, international experience, personal background, etc, etc). As such, it's rarely one variable (e.g. GMAT or work experience) that decides one's admissions fate, rather it's a combination of variables.

As a former admissions officer at Wharton, I can say that the GMAT result is assessed in tandem with the other aspects of the candidate's profile. I can also say that the admissions team tries to admit a highly qualified group of applicants that come from across the globe and can represent a variety of industries, experiences, etc. As such, the best way to think of it is as follows: if you belong to an over-represented portion of the applicant pool (bankers, men, Indian nationals, New Yorkers, consultants, engineers, undergraduate business majors, etc), it's arguably that much harder to stand out from the pack. If you belong to an under-represented group (entrepreneurs, Peace Corps volunteers, women, philosophy majors, citizens of Norway, bootstrappers, etc), it's that much easier to stand out and add to the diversity of the incoming class.

So the basic answer to your question is that if you fall into an over-subscribed group in the applicant pool, you should certainly be aiming to top the averages for admitted stduents on the GMAT - since the adcom will no doubt have many options to choose from in selecting candidates from your portion of the pool.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.