My score - 740 (Q-48, V-44)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My score - 740 (Q-48, V-44)

by amitkhetan1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:02 am
Hi,

I gave the GMAT last week and got 740 - exactly the score I got when I gave the GMAT Prep I - although the composition was entirely different. In hindsight, I could have done better by not ignoring Quants completely. I eventually ran out of time in the maths section and had to guess the last 3-4 questions.

AWAs - was a breeze, with both completed well before time. Still awaiting the score

Quants (48) - found it much difficult compared to practice tests, paid the price for completely ignoring basic formulas and ended up running out of time. I feel I should have got a 50 with some preparation

Verbal - did well - finished right on time - benefited greatly from Manhattan's SC Guide - a must read I feel.

I would like to thank this forum for the resources from which I benefited greatly, especially for the verbal section and the AWA examples

Overall, I am reasonably happy given my level of preparation

Amit

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 am
740 is a great score! Congratulations!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vaishalijain7 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:58 pm
Hi Amit,

gr8 score..Congratulations! Can you please share your preparation as well as test taking strategies for verbal section.

Thanks,
Vaishali

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by amitkhetan1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 am
Hi Vaishali,

Thanks..

For Quants, as I have said above, there was virtually no preparation. Only the practice tests.

For Verbal, I did the OG & only the Manhattan Guide for Sentence Correction. That's it. Infact I did not even complete the OG, but I read the SC guide twice as I found the concepts to be pretty useful but likely to forget.

I took the two official tests, two princeton review tests and one kaplan test. However, I think the official tests are the best and most indicative of your actual score. I gave the first test before any preparation (740) and the second one 3 days prior to the actual exam (760). I think these two tests are enough for practice and it is advisable to take the same test again instead of the other tests (kaplan, princeton, manhattan etc.) if more practice is needed as their level is closest to the actual exam.