GMAT Form Query

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Form Query

by riya.sharma.sweet1984 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 am
Hii

When I was registering for GMAT on the website www.mba.com, I faced few problems:

1) I have B.Com degree (with 73% marks) and Chartered Accountant degree with 55% marks. I did this from Rajasthan (India). Now, I don't know how to convert these into GPA. And when they ask for overall GPA, do I need to include my school (class 10 & class 12) marks also? :?

2) Is Chartered Accountant degree considered as a Bechlors degree or Masters degree in GMAT? :?

3) Out of Chartered Accountant & B.Com. which one should I mention as undergraduate degree or first university degree? :?

Pls help me.

Thanks a lot.
Bye..... Riya

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 am
Hi,

We are based out of India and thus feel can contribute in resolving your queries quite effectively.

Your first degree is your B.Com and your most recent is Chartered Accountant. CA is not a university degree, it is granted by the Chartered Accountants Association (or a similar body as you know) and thus cannot be compensated for a masters degree. It is something equivalent to a CFA and should be enlisted separately in skills and qualifications.

Your GPA conversion is fine. For most universities in India, above 60 is first class. And according to WES (An online credential evaluator) that would come to an overall grade of A which is very high. However, to prevent students who go to mediocre or below average universities from taking advantage of this, each university has its own list of Indian universities they know are good and know very well of the prestige of where you have passed out from. Your percentage is fine.

As for CA, we advie you list it in your achievements/skills but don't quote your percentage. We know how tough a CA qualification is and fully appreciate it. But the 55% figure is a little negative to look at. The fact that you cleared the CA exams should be good for them. Schools and GMAC don't look at 10/12 percentages at all. Schools would, but it would affect only if you were a national scholar/school topper or something.

All in all, your GMAT score and your overall profile (work exp., extra currics, leadership, philanthropy etc.) will be the most important factors.

Hope this helps. All the best

Regards,
Team AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by riya.sharma.sweet1984 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:58 pm
Hi

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I have one more query please. As you are saying that CA is not considered as a University Degree, I shall need to mention BCom only as my graduation degree. But B.Com. will be considered as 3 years undergraduation only and not 4 years. So, will it be a problem or can I go ahead with 3 years degree in GMAT?

The course I am looking for is Masters in Finance or MBA with majors Finance (from LBS/LSE/Harvard/Uni.of Chicago/NYU Stern etc.).

So can I go ahead with GMAT stating BCom (3years) as my bechelors degree?

I did First year of LLB (Bachelars in Law) also after BCom. But I don't think I will be able to show as part of my undergraduation studies because I left LLB after First Year only.

Pls reply.

Thanks & Regards
Riya

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 pm
Hi,

Well you need to check with individual colleges/universities with regards to their policies on the issue of the 3year/4year education. Normally, you cannot get admissions with a 3 year undergraduate degree from India. However, a few of our clients went to LBS, LSE etc. with 3 year degrees (B.Com/B.A.). It's more of a problem in the USA, but still you should check with each college individually. Taking the GMAT is not a problem, even if you haven't yet completed college. This issue will be pertinent only when you apply.

Your CA qualification MIGHT let you apply in the USA as well. Just check with each college. Of course you cannot mention a year of study in an unfinished degree :) And we suggest you don't as well as this would give a very bad impression to the adcom (leaving study after one year without proper justifications would be quite negative).

Hope this helps. All The Best.

Regards,
Team AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]