750 (Q49 V44)!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

750 (Q49 V44)!!!

by Krazie85 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:15 pm
Just got back from the GMAT (took the test at 130 today). I am so HAPPY!! My goal when I started was >700 and I nailed it! I couldn't have done it without this site as I wasn't even planning on prepping at all for the gmat.

First I will tell you my background: 21 year old rising senior accounting major at the university of south carolina. Taking the GMAT for a masters of accountancy program.

My Prep: I came across this site the third week of May and after reading the various blogs and boards I decided I was gonna go for the gold on the GMAT. I ordered:

OG
Kaplan (never used...overrated)
Kaplan Math Review
Manhattan SC

My practice scores were as follows:

GMATPrep1: (no studying at all) 640
MGMAT 1: 640
MGMAT 2: 670
MGMAT 3: 700
GMATPrep2: 720
MGMAT 4: 710

I knew I could score high because I had gotten a 50 on quant and a 46 on verbal just not pieced together.

The first two weeks I used the Kaplan Math review strictly to get my brain back in to middle school/highschool math. I didnt touch any other book, went through the whole thing and made notecards on all the subjects.

Then I did all the PS in OG. Next week did all the DS in OG.

My achilles heel was SC so I read the whole manhattan SC guide and made notecards. It still made no sense to me. I read it again, did all the OG SC problems for a second time and it began to click. If you are having trouble with SC keep redoing OG problems and you will begin to see that you can almost instantly eliminate three choices once you get the hang of it.

Did a week's worth of CR (OG) but this and RC were my strong points so the last week and a half I focused on everything.

Observations from the actual gmat:

- The quant is easier than MGMAT (on MGMAT i never scored above 46)but then again I scored 89% in quant so it may be harder for those scoring high quants.

-The verbal is harder. The CR is tricky as hell. This was probably because I scored 97%.

- Like everyone says OG and GMATPrep are the best prep tools. Exhaust the hell out of them!

- The writing is very easy, i would only do one full practice test with the writing in your prep. Treat it as a warm up for your brain for the MC sections.

-Dont study for more than 10-12 weeks, its overkill.

Hope this helps somewhat, I am in a rush and I am just so ecstatic right now. Believe me you all can score this high, I am no genius I just prepped well.

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Congratulations on your 750

by GCHall840 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:32 pm
Hi Krazie85,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You must have felt really, really good leaving that testing center after you found out that you scored a 750 on the GMAT. I think that is truly a fantastic score, too.

Best wishes in your next academic endeavor. I am sure that you will do very well, too.

Greg

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

thanks

by Krazie85 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 pm
thanks greg. best of wishes to you as well.

You are right.. I had to really contain myself when I was in the testing room... once I got to the elevator the celebration was on....