Need Help: 580(V23,Q46) again!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:580

Need Help: 580(V23,Q46) again!!

by helios » Sun May 31, 2009 2:55 am
Hello,
I was very ashamed to post such a low score but I thought that I could get some good tips from beatthegmat members if I posted my score and experience here. I started my preparation in 2008 and it has been more than a year I am still lurching far behind my target score.
Until now, I have already taken GMAT four times and every time my score was less than 600.
My all scores:
530(V:17,Q: 47) taken on – June, 2007
540(V: 17,Q: 48) taken on – April, 2008
580(V: 25,Q: 44 ) taken on – September, 2008
580(V: 23,Q: 46) taken on – May, 2009 (did not finish the last question in Quant; time went by)

This time, I did everything for preparation. My all last test scores (GMATPrep and MGMAT CAT test) were above 700 so I became completely amuck after seeing such a low score.
My experience:
Quant:
1. Lot many Roman numeric based questions in Quant (almost 3-4)
2. Probability question is sure. I got more than two. Last one was probability question and I, doing calculation very cautiously, forgot to keep tab on time. I selected my answer before but did not get time to click confirm button. Did GMAT consider it unanswered?
3. Word problem, particularly profit-loss
4. Geometry was ok – but I got fewer
Verbal:
1. Got many argument based questions (2 actors) and Justify questions
2. Question those come with underline in CR
3. SC is way tougher than 1000 series (I did 1000 series twice + reviewed) – I can remember that I learned idiom “range from X to Y and Z” from 1000 SC but there were options using “range from X to Y to Z” and I got such 3 questions testing the same idiom. I was overtly confused when I did not see my known idiomatic format.
4. RC was normal and comprehensible. I did not see any elusive word in RC whatsoever.

My gut feeling is that, because SC and CR are more excruciating than they used to be previously, my score seriously deteriorated in verbal. At this time, I am not able to analyze my weak areas because whichever tests available in market have low difficulty level questions in verbal.

Already I have gone thorough PowerScore CR book though did not work too much on argument based questions. I would definitely appreciate your eager and spontaneous response. Thank you all.

P.S. Yesterday, I went to Princeton and take their free mock test at center. I got 650 (V31, Q47). I do not know how far Princeton’s test actually imitates the exact scoring algorithm of GMAT. In quant, I did 4 mistakes (questions are very basic and ridiculously easy). In verbal, I did 10 mistakes (2 in CR, 3 in SC and 5 in RC). I am not sure whether I would learn anything new from Princeton so I am abandoning my plan to get admission there.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sun May 31, 2009 12:43 pm
As with most test takers, you suffer from the "verbal curse". Your quant scores are more than decent, but you seem to struggle with verbal. This means that you definitely need to focus on verbal for the time being!

Have you tried the MGMAT series? I haven't used them myself, but they're highly recommended on this forum, particularly the SC guide. I can tell you one thing though: the PowerScore CR Bible is really a great resource for CR. If you feel that you haven't reviewed it properly, then I suggest you do so, since IMHO it's the best prep book out there for CR. And another thing: if you're looking for tougher CR questions, people often mention the PowerScore CR Bible for the LSAT. You might want to check that one out! Apart from books, you could also try hiring a tutor, if you have the time, resources and disposition (that is, if you think it's going to help you)...

Now, as far as your overall scores go, you can definitely see improvements, but nothing spectacular. This is probably an indicator of the fact that you need to spend some more time before retaking your test: huge score improvements don't happen overnight! Be patient and don't lose hope! All the best!

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun May 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Hey,
Tough luck but don't get discouraged. As Danaj points out focus more on Verbal (st the same time keep practicing quant just so your strength doesnt turn in to a weakness) with

1) Manhattan SC (3rd edition)
2) Powerscore GMAT CR bible(there's a lsat one also but the gmat one is better since we are indeed writing the gmat and not lsat)

This could help solve the range idiom confusion you were having:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/despite-its- ... 10504.html

Good luck and I am sure u will get the score u want in your next attempt.

Wishing u the best.

Regards,
CR

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by gmat_dest » Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 pm
so is range from X to Y to Z is correct, if all3 parts are independent?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:580

by helios » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:52 am
thanks for so many responses.

Now I should say that, at least on exam, always listen to your guts. I felt that idiom range from X to Y to Z would be correct but did not chose. Same thing happened when I took Princeton test last weekend -- I made two mistakes on RC because I did not choose the answer I felt correct at first.

I've already covered OG11, OG10, Kaplan review, Kaplan 800 (for verbal), MGMAT Quant, MGMAT SC, Powerscore CR, RC (I follow Kaplan RC rules and specification), all 1000 series. Anyway I will revise PowerScore CR again.

* How many times I can take the test? Because I've taken test so many times, is my chance to get into Ivy League college feeble.

* Could you suggest me anything to keep myself calm at the time of Verbal? Because of multiple failures in verbal section I get unnecessarily nervous or very overcautious.