Profile Evaluation (M, 770, Engineer, LOW GPA)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Howdy,

I would love to get a realistic view of what I can expect during this upcoming application season.

Starting with the worst part...
GPA: 2.8 (in Engineering, from Harvey Mudd College '05)
Male, 26
GMAT: 770 (49Q, 46V)

Spent a year with Intel as a process engineer in a manufacturing facility in AZ. Moved back to CA, and have spent the subsequent years with two different Idealab companies (a startup/incubator environment) in predominantly technical management roles.

I am currently taking 2 courses through UCLA (Finance and Business Calculus) to show both that I am serious about this undertaking and that I am academically capable at this level . I will most certainly get A's in both of them (to be honest, they remind me of the beginning of high school, I haven't taken single-variable, non-complex calculus since before I had my driver's license! :) ). In addition to this step, I have taken serious effort in composing an essay outlining the "why" component of my GPA.

In addition to my full-time job, I mentor one of my employees, act as a Big Brother in Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America, play rugby, and run a small web business (it seems like a lot when you say it all in one sentence like that).

My family background is moderately unique: I come from a low-income single parent household with a substantial history of substance abuse (the household, not me!)

I am interested in going into Venture Capital, if not right after b-school (a tall order) then soon after. As a result, I am focused on HBS and Stanford GSB as my main candidates. How realistic is this? Is this, particularly my GPA, something that I can sell to those institutions through a well-crafted application? I tend to think that it is just barely within the realm of possibility, but I would love to hear what you have to say about it.

How do you think I should attempt to position myself to create the most compelling story?

Lastly, I am part Native American (a small part, and though it was a substantial part of my upbringing, I do not strongly identify with the culture). Here is the rub: I _LOATHE_ affirmative action, I really dislike the idea of getting or having something because of what I am instead of who I am. Do you think that having the "tribal" stamp on my application will make a substantial difference in its evaluation? If the advantage is clear cut, I am willing to do it (though I feel that it would cheapen my admission). What difference do you think it might make for me to go one way or another? Going from over-represented white male engineer to totally under-represented native american engineer seems like a substantial step in admission candidacy (assuming that all of the other pieces are ok or on the fence).

Thoughts, advice, opinions?

Let me know if there is any further information I could provide that would make it easier to evaluate my candidacy.

Thanks!

by milqman » Fri May 29, 2009 2:08 pm
RE: Recommendations

I have a handful of people to choose from (in fact, picking the right ones might be a challenge).

The one I know I want is my current boss, mentor, CEO of current company, and HBS alum. He is not a particularly heavy hitter in grand scheme of HBS alums, but I think that his stance on me will be a positive and meaningful one when it gets into writing.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 pm
Dear milqman,

I think you have a competitive foundation for your target schools, despite the low GPA. Your 770 is above average for your target schools and mitigate the 2.7 GPA. Also, you are building an alternative transcript to show you can succeed in the classroom. Since admissions decisions are based on more than the numbers, your essays, recommendations, and interviews are critical to the ultimate decision. These components give you another chance to shine and make your case for a seat in the class. Be sure to convey your successful leadership and teamwork experiences in your essays as well as a solid rationale for getting your MBA in relation to your past experiences and future career goals. Finally, I do think you should disclose that you are Native American. That alone will not give you an automatic admission, but it is important to be honest about your background.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by milqman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm
Is my hope of going to either HBS or Stanford even reasonable? It is possible that it is not, but it would be nice to know that when it comes time o select some backups.

As for the concept of well-matched schools and "safe" schools, where on the spectrum do you think I should be looking. My entire story seems pretty good with the exception of my undergrad GPA (an obviously important part). Is a Wharton, Sloan, or Chicago out of my range too (or should I consider those well-matched)? Is a Anderson or a Darden something that I can consider "safe"?

I am having a hard time knowing where on the spectrum I am. Without that info, it is hard to get in there and really pick from schools at the right "level".

Does that make sense? Can you assist me in aiming that selection?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 am
Dear milqman,

I do think you have a chance with a top 10 program, but I consider the top 10 to be a reach for everyone. Based on your post, I think you have a good chance at a top 20 and safety schools for you would be anything outside the top 20. Ideally, you want to pick schools that make the most sense for your goals and where you feel you fit in the culture. Perhaps apply to 3-4 in the top 10, 1-2 in the top 20, and 1 outside the top 20? You can always wait to apply to your safety in the second round and apply to your preferred schools in the first round.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me