690: Should I retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

690: Should I retake?

by Arsene Lupin » Thu May 28, 2009 3:42 am
First I'd like to deeply thank you guys. This forum was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the result (The damn slow machine took around 10 seconds to load the result, I almost fainted)

I just did my first attempt at the GMAT, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Q48
V35

I was getting ~660 in GMATPrep, so I'm very happy with this result.

I prepared with only two books: The OG11 and Peterson's Master the GMAT (The only books available in Saudi Arabia :( )

I believe I could raise the math section a point or two. But I think I reached my limits in the verbal, and I could risk a drop in my score. SC and CR are becoming gibberish for me at that level (I'm doing much better in RC).

Do you think other books would help me with the verbal section (especially the CR)?

I'm aiming at the top 20 business schools in September 2011. My profile:

- Saudi Nationality. (Underrepresented?)
- BS degree in Computer Science from the University of Kansas.
- 3.52 GPA
- 5 years of government IT experience by 2011.
- Normal extra curricular activites during college: Active member in Muslim Student Association, Islamic Center of Lawrence and Saudi Club.
- One thing I'm proud of is implementing flextime in my organization. From coming up with the idea and the proposal, up to writing the code that would support such flexibility. (I tried with ROWE, but that was a long shot :lol: )

Do I have a good shot at the top 20? Or should I push the GMAT a bit further?

God bless you! :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sadragas » Thu May 28, 2009 4:28 am
First of all Congrats on ur score.
I have the same score too and also with the same dilemma.

btw I scored 49 in Quant and 35 in Verbal, yet landed up with the same as urs Q48 and V35. Just wondering how come...

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by joostinshu » Thu May 28, 2009 5:52 am
The raw scores are computed based on an ever-changing sample thus slightly different raw scores can produce the same overall score.

by Arsene Lupin » Thu May 28, 2009 6:45 am
sadragas wrote:First of all Congrats on ur score.
I have the same score too and also with the same dilemma.

btw I scored 49 in Quant and 35 in Verbal, yet landed up with the same as urs Q48 and V35. Just wondering how come...
Thanks alot, and congratz to you mate.

lol I guess I was lucky being in a less competitive sample :P

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sadragas » Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 am
I'm targeting for these:
Nanyang, NUS, AIM Manila, Australian Business School & Melbourne School of Business

Being frm an overrepresented (India IT) group and having a low work-ex (2.5)
I'm also contemplating on whether to go for another try

Let me know wht u decide.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 am
Congratulations! 690 is a good score.

by Arsene Lupin » Thu May 28, 2009 9:04 am
Congratulations! 690 is a good score.
Thanks alot mate :)

sadragas wrote:I'm targeting for these:
Nanyang, NUS, AIM Manila, Australian Business School & Melbourne School of Business

Being frm an overrepresented (India IT) group and having a low work-ex (2.5)
I'm also contemplating on whether to go for another try

Let me know wht u decide.
I'm leaning towards applying with my current score. I searched a little and I think few top 20 schools have averages below my numbers. Also, I hear Saudis (middle easterns in general) are underrepresented.

But then again I'm targeting 2011, I'll be working a little on ECs.

I might apply for 2010 to test the waters. If I get admitted to something crazily awesome, I will search the "postpone" option or deal with my current employer (I'm under a contract with them until 2011)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu May 28, 2009 10:58 am
I think you'll be fine with a 690. A couple more points on the math score won't make a huge difference, but a drop in verbal would! A 690 is good enough to be considered at any program, plus you have an interesting background (minority, good GPA in a tough major, etc.). Forget the GMAT and begin to work on the rest of your application.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by Arsene Lupin » Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 am
VP_Jim wrote:I think you'll be fine with a 690. A couple more points on the math score won't make a huge difference, but a drop in verbal would! A 690 is good enough to be considered at any program, plus you have an interesting background (minority, good GPA in a tough major, etc.). Forget the GMAT and begin to work on the rest of your application.
Glad to hear that, thanks a bunch mate. Unless the AWA score is too low, I think I will stick with your advice.