I need your guidance for verbal books

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I need your guidance for verbal books

by Ekaterine » Wed May 27, 2009 4:04 am
Hi,

I have read all the posts regarding the verbal books and since I am doing pretty bad in verbal part I decided to buy the following books:

1. "Manhattan sentence correction",
2."powerscore critical reasoning bible",
3."powerscore sentence correction bible",
4. "EZ strategies verbal".

My goal is 750 above (or at least 720 above). I took the test in the beginning of May and my score was 45 Math and 19 verbal. ( I studied with OG 11, Kaplan books and princeton review).

Are those books enough or too much? what do you think? I am planning to take next test in September.

Stacey, shall I purchase Manhattan Sentence correction from amazon.com or from manhattan website? Is the newest version available from the website?

Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ekaterine

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

Re: I need your guidance for verbal books

by hk » Wed May 27, 2009 7:05 am
Ekaterine wrote:Hi,

I have read all the posts regarding the verbal books and since I am doing pretty bad in verbal part I decided to buy the following books:

1. "Manhattan sentence correction",
2."powerscore critical reasoning bible",
3."powerscore sentence correction bible",
4. "EZ strategies verbal".

My goal is 750 above (or at least 720 above). I took the test in the beginning of May and my score was 45 Math and 19 verbal. ( I studied with OG 11, Kaplan books and princeton review).

Are those books enough or too much? what do you think? I am planning to take next test in September.

Stacey, shall I purchase Manhattan Sentence correction from amazon.com or from manhattan website? Is the newest version available from the website?

Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ekaterine
Ekaterine,

I would like to offer my 2 cents on your case. I dont think you need the powerscore sentence correction book. If you manage to study the MGMAT SC guide and retain atleast 70% of whats in the book, you are sure to get a hit rate of around 85-90% on the SC section. This is very important because SC questions outnumber the CR and RC questions on the gmat.

If you need more practice, i suggest you buy the Official guide for Verbal review book. Real questions and gives you real good practice.

Other than that i suggest you start creating an Error log and updating all the incorrect questions and reasons on why you got them wrong and then revisiting those questions once in 2 weeks to see whether you got the concept.

Good luck.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by 4score20 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:39 pm
OG Verbal Review is good.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by chetanojha » Thu May 28, 2009 5:00 am
Although OG verbal review provide good practise but to learn the fundamentals

GMAT Powerscore Verbal Bible is also out in market. The SC content of this book is similar to the Powerscore SC book and on top of it it also contain strategies for CR and RC.

I have just ordered it so don't really know how it is. But for Manhattan SC I, being a non-native speaker(never noticed verb and tenses in life) , found bit dull due to lack of real questions. Though this book is to the point but siomehow I found it difficult to put all pieces together after "just" reading this book.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ekaterine » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:38 am
Thank you guys, will post an update shortly
Thanks again