survey

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

survey

by ketkoag » Sun May 17, 2009 6:21 am
3 kinds of ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are to be selected. In a survey of 60 people about the preference of the ice cream, 3/5 will put the vanilla on the last position, 1/3 put the vanilla ahead of the chocolate, and 1/10 put the vanilla ahead of strawberry. How many people will put the strawberry on the first position?
A.2
B. 4
C. 6
D. 12
E. 24

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by PAB2706 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:30 am
hey,

I am not all that great when it comes to quant

I not sure but i got the answer as 24...

not sure of the method i used..if i am right i will post my method bcos i dnt want to confuse the other members who are equally weak in quant as i am..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

Re: survey

by sanju09 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 am
ketkoag wrote:3 kinds of ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are to be selected. In a survey of 60 people about the preference of the ice cream, 3/5 will put the vanilla on the last position, 1/3 put the vanilla ahead of the chocolate, and 1/10 put the vanilla ahead of strawberry. How many people will put the strawberry on the first position?
A.2
B. 4
C. 6
D. 12
E. 24
Among the 60 people surveyed, if 36 put vanilla in the last then 24 must put vanilla on first or second position; and out of those 24, 20 put the vanilla ahead of the chocolate and 6 put the vanilla ahead of strawberry, then [spoiler]2[/spoiler] of them must put vanilla ahead of both chocolate and strawberry, or on the first position. Mine [spoiler]A[/spoiler].
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Legendary Member

Re: survey

by ketkoag » Mon May 18, 2009 9:37 am
sanju09 wrote:
ketkoag wrote:3 kinds of ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are to be selected. In a survey of 60 people about the preference of the ice cream, 3/5 will put the vanilla on the last position, 1/3 put the vanilla ahead of the chocolate, and 1/10 put the vanilla ahead of strawberry. How many people will put the strawberry on the first position?
A.2
B. 4
C. 6
D. 12
E. 24
Among the 60 people surveyed, if 36 put vanilla in the last then 24 must put vanilla on first or second position; and out of those 24, 20 put the vanilla ahead of the chocolate and 6 put the vanilla ahead of strawberry, then [spoiler]2[/spoiler] of them must put vanilla ahead of both chocolate and strawberry, or on the first position. Mine [spoiler]A[/spoiler].
seems nice, but question is : How many people will put the strawberry on the first position? :)..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:27 am
Oopsy! My faux pas!! Sorry for late reply as I was not well in the gone days, and thanks too!! May be because, I like vanilla more than strawberry. Okay, my answer in that case is 24, and that is more due to deductions than due to the real calculations. My process includes "Box Method", it will be very confusing if I post it right now, as I am still not in a very perfect frame of mind (thanks to medicines), I have posted same question to one of my friend, "Namita Lohani", on a forum whose link is given below, during my casual conversation with her, Namita is a gifted girl with logics, she sent to me the following solution for this problem, which I am posting as it is for other people to read and let us know if that is alright. I am not able to read and comprehend through such a big text at the moment, and one more thing Mr Ketkoag, why do I feel that this cannot be answered in 2 minutes, this feeling is so rare with me. Is it because I am not well, or it is really so? Anyways, here's Namita's take:

Namita Lohani wrote:
sir here s the sol. but its too long first, we will observe that the ppl putting vanilla ahead of strawberry are automatically eliminated in our search, since u cant put something ahead of the first position

so, 1/10 or 6 ppl are out, leaving us with only 54

out of these 54 ppl, now consider those (1/3 of 60, i.e. 20 ppl) who put vanilla ahead of chocolate…they can do that in 2 ways…say, ‘x’ ppl put chocolate in the 2nd position, (thereby putting vanilla 1st and strawberry 3rd) and (20 – x) ppl who put chocolate 3rd (thereby putting vanilla 2nd and automatically strawberry 1st)....so we have (20 – x) “favourable” ppl…the earlier party of ‘x’ ppl are also to be eliminated since they are putting vanilla first, contrary to the problem.

finally, 3/5 or 36 ppl put vanilla in the last posn, and so among these ppl are : 1. who put strawberry first (say ‘y’)

2. who put chocolate first [ the rest (36 - y) ppl]now we observe further tht….the 20 and 36 just considered are “mutually exclusive” since u cant put vanilla ahead of chocolate and in the last position at the same time!

now if we add (20 + 36) u get 56 > 54, which means, 2 ppl are common between the 6 ppl eliminated at the outset and the remaining 54 ppl.

i.e., these two ppl can’t be from the last grp, since the last grp (36 ppl) put vanilla last, but the first group has put vanilla ahead of strawberry!

clearly, these 2 ppl are from the grp of 20 ppl putting vanilla ahead of chocolate…ie these 2 ppl put vanilla first as also ahead of chocolate..thus they have 2 options…(choc 2nd, straw 3rd) or (straw 2nd, choc 3rd)

only one of these two options matches the 2nd grp

now if we study the conditions carefully, it will be clear that x = 2

ie, 2 ppl have ranked vanilla 1st, chocolate 2nd and strawberry 3rd…and are eliminated.

from the group of 20, only 18 ppl rank straw first (refer to the upper paragraph) and are included in our reqd group

now we come to the 3rd group…these 36 ppl have two options : either (straw 1st, choc 2nd) ie ‘y’ ppl, or (choc 1st, straw 2nd) ie (36 – y) ppl. clearly the 3rd grp is independant of the 1st 2 grps

out of the 3rd grp, the ‘y’ ppl are of our interest.

now observe that since these 36 ppl are independant of the 1st 2 grps, it is impossible to know the value of ‘y’

what we do know is that y>0 for certain

total no of ppl favourable to our reqd result are (18 + y) > 18….so the only possible answer is 24

cudnt think up a shorter method. plss…............tl me any shorter method …............i can’t write asong today my hand ache wrt nw…......... 2nd query noooooo idea….... bye

Read more: https://learnhub.com/conversation/
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Fri May 22, 2009 3:24 am
PAB2706 wrote:hey,

I am not all that great when it comes to quant

I not sure but i got the answer as 24...

not sure of the method i used..if i am right i will post my method bcos i dnt want to confuse the other members who are equally weak in quant as i am..
please post your solution PAB2706, cant get more confused than i already am :)

by dtweah » Fri May 22, 2009 7:58 am
One effective solution is to work from answer choices and list all distributions possible.
36 people put V last.

S C V
C S V

20 People put V ahead of C So V CANNOT come last

S V C
V C S
V S C
6 people put V ahead of S, so S CANNOT come first

C V S
V S C
V C S
Notice there are 6 unique distributions. VCS VSC are repetitions. On average you can say 10 people chose the same distribution. But we can’t deal with averages here.

So let’s go to answer choices.

A is 2. Give 1 to SCV. This would mean that 35 people chose CSV since it is unique and we would have 24 people splitting SVC, VCS, VSC and CVS. Give 1 to SVC and 23 vie for VCS, VSC and CVS. But we need 20 people to put V ahead of C. Since 1 is gone already, we have to get the 19 from VCS, VSC and CVS. Can we do this distribution without violating the condition that says only 6 people should put V ahead of S? No b/c V is ahead of S in all these so 19 V are already ahead of of S, which violates the 3rd condition. On this basis we can eliminate A

B is 4. We use the same reasoning, continuing to evenly split. 34 CSV. 18 from VCS, VSC and CVS. Again. More than 6 V ahead of S. Since distribute unevenly; giving 1 to SCV leaves 3 for SVC and we will need 17 from VCS, VSC and CVS. Our goal is to give SVC a higher number such that that our choice from VCS, VSC and CVS would not violate the 3rd condition. So Maximize SVC and Minimize (VCS, VSC and CVS). What is the max number to assign to SVC that guarantees the 3rd condition is not violated? Note SVC is part of 2nd condition. The only distribution excluded from this is CVS, which is part of 3rd, and herein lies the difficulty. Since CVS will count toward 3rd but not toward 2nd we want to minimize it the most. So among the 6 we seek, we give 1 to CVS 5 to VCS and VSC. This looks like:

1 (V C S )
1 ( V S C)
1 (C V S)
1 (V S C)
2 (V C S )

No conditions are violated. 5 V are ahead of C so we can give 15 to SVC. It follows then that 15 is our max SVC number, which means 9 must go to SCV if no condition is to be violated. Thus 24 is the only choice that meet these conditions. The final distribution could be:

9 ( S C V )
26 ( C S V)
15 ( S V C )
1 (V C S )
1 ( V S C)
1 (C V S)
1 (V S C)
2 (V C S )

Choose E.

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Fri May 22, 2009 10:50 am
sanju09 wrote:Oopsy! My faux pas!! Sorry for late reply as I was not well in the gone days, and thanks too!! May be because, I like vanilla more than strawberry. Okay, my answer in that case is 24, and that is more due to deductions than due to the real calculations. My process includes "Box Method", it will be very confusing if I post it right now, as I am still not in a very perfect frame of mind (thanks to medicines), I have posted same question to one of my friend, "Namita Lohani", on a forum whose link is given below, during my casual conversation with her, Namita is a gifted girl with logics, she sent to me the following solution for this problem, which I am posting as it is for other people to read and let us know if that is alright. I am not able to read and comprehend through such a big text at the moment, and one more thing Mr Ketkoag, why do I feel that this cannot be answered in 2 minutes, this feeling is so rare with me. Is it because I am not well, or it is really so? Anyways, here's Namita's take:

Namita Lohani wrote:
sir here s the sol. but its too long first, we will observe that the ppl putting vanilla ahead of strawberry are automatically eliminated in our search, since u cant put something ahead of the first position

so, 1/10 or 6 ppl are out, leaving us with only 54

out of these 54 ppl, now consider those (1/3 of 60, i.e. 20 ppl) who put vanilla ahead of chocolate…they can do that in 2 ways…say, ‘x’ ppl put chocolate in the 2nd position, (thereby putting vanilla 1st and strawberry 3rd) and (20 – x) ppl who put chocolate 3rd (thereby putting vanilla 2nd and automatically strawberry 1st)....so we have (20 – x) “favourable” ppl…the earlier party of ‘x’ ppl are also to be eliminated since they are putting vanilla first, contrary to the problem.

finally, 3/5 or 36 ppl put vanilla in the last posn, and so among these ppl are : 1. who put strawberry first (say ‘y’)

2. who put chocolate first [ the rest (36 - y) ppl]now we observe further tht….the 20 and 36 just considered are “mutually exclusive” since u cant put vanilla ahead of chocolate and in the last position at the same time!

now if we add (20 + 36) u get 56 > 54, which means, 2 ppl are common between the 6 ppl eliminated at the outset and the remaining 54 ppl.

i.e., these two ppl can’t be from the last grp, since the last grp (36 ppl) put vanilla last, but the first group has put vanilla ahead of strawberry!

clearly, these 2 ppl are from the grp of 20 ppl putting vanilla ahead of chocolate…ie these 2 ppl put vanilla first as also ahead of chocolate..thus they have 2 options…(choc 2nd, straw 3rd) or (straw 2nd, choc 3rd)

only one of these two options matches the 2nd grp

now if we study the conditions carefully, it will be clear that x = 2

ie, 2 ppl have ranked vanilla 1st, chocolate 2nd and strawberry 3rd…and are eliminated.

from the group of 20, only 18 ppl rank straw first (refer to the upper paragraph) and are included in our reqd group

now we come to the 3rd group…these 36 ppl have two options : either (straw 1st, choc 2nd) ie ‘y’ ppl, or (choc 1st, straw 2nd) ie (36 – y) ppl. clearly the 3rd grp is independant of the 1st 2 grps

out of the 3rd grp, the ‘y’ ppl are of our interest.

now observe that since these 36 ppl are independant of the 1st 2 grps, it is impossible to know the value of ‘y’

what we do know is that y>0 for certain

total no of ppl favourable to our reqd result are (18 + y) > 18….so the only possible answer is 24

cudnt think up a shorter method. plss…............tl me any shorter method …............i can’t write asong today my hand ache wrt nw…......... 2nd query noooooo idea….... bye

Read more: https://learnhub.com/conversation/
OMG, really it might take more than 6 mins to even think of it.....:o This question was asked to me by a friend and he got this question in some GMAT practice test online.. the OE given is 1/10+1/3-(1-3/5)=1/30. 60*1/30=2 i.e A. By seeing the OE it seems to be very easy one. anyways if its not relevant or the solution to this takes this much time then i would like to leave it as not possible to solve within 2 mins, but please lemme know if you experts can understand the OE above. Also please elaborate ur understanding.. :)

GMAT Score:720

by dumb.doofus » Fri May 22, 2009 10:51 am
Alright people.. I never wanted to answer this question.. after I looked at it first time.. sometimes you do have allergy towards certain type of questions.. I have for something such as this :-)

anyways, since I saw this question again today and many people have replied, I thought of thinking on it and posting my solution and luckily, the answer came very quickly and is basically of only two lines as you'll see.. :-) I have just put more words to explain.. So here it is..

We know the following:

1. 36 people put Vanilla in last place.
Essentially this means SCV and CSV. Can't do much with that.. can I? so let's leave it here.. useless info..

2. 20 people put Vanilla in front of chocolate
Essentially this means SVC, VCS and VSC. Can't do much with that.. can I? so let's leave it here.. Just this statement is useless

3. 6 people put Vanilla ahead of strawberry.
Essentially this means CVS, VCS and VSC. Can't do much with that.. can I? so let's leave it here..Just this statement is useless

But if I take 2 and 3 together I can make the following (login to see):

That tells me that Strawberry is in first position at least 18 times..

That's it..only one answer satisfies this criteria.. answer is Option E i.e. 24..
One love, one blood, one life. You got to do what you should.
https://dreambigdreamhigh.blocked/
https://gmattoughies.blocked/

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Fri May 22, 2009 9:58 pm
very smart approach dumb.doofus!
it looks so much simpler now.

by PAB2706 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 pm
hey Scooby,

sorry for the late reply.. and seriously i am not good at math... not being modest. Maybe my approach was altogether wrong but just arrived at the right answer by fluke.

Anyway....my approach....

36 put vanila last ( in this one set of ppl have put strawberry first) thus half of 36=18

20 put vanila front of chocolate

6 put vanila ahead of strawberry.

Total 26

now the addition is 36+20+6=62 ie there are 2 ppl who are counted more than once.

When you draw the venn u understand that these two guys are in 26 as out of the six ways arranging two are overlapping so these two guys are counted in this overlapping region. so i get all in all four ways to account for 24 ppl

out of these four ways i get just once strawberry first. thus i get that 6 ppl have put strawberry first. (24*1/4)

18+6=24.

:wink: