Please evaluate and assess

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate and assess

by samy803 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:26 pm
Hello, If you can evaluate my profile and let me know what my chances are to get into the part time MBA schools, I would greatly appreciate it.

GPA:2.48
Graduated 2001 (Supply Chain)
8 Years experience:
Current position: Manufacturing Manager:
Run six departments/24 employees:
Accomplishments: Process Improvements in three key departments (improving inventory accuracy, operational efficiency, and cost cutting initiatives), managing $1.5 mm budget, rewarded with team achievment award, led in crossfunctional departmental meetings focusing on reaching key goals/initiatives
GMAT: 550
Resume: Great
Essays:Great
Recommendations: Great (from direct manager and Exec. vice pres)
Extra Activities: Great (Marathon, volunteer work)

Supplemental comments: I have made a very big impact on my company in regards to work ethic, team building, leadership, employer/employee relations. I work in a union environment and would receive a great recommendation letter from the senior steward (him/her). Do you recommend this? I am thinking it will be help the admissions committee see that I am making a big difference in improving the goals of the company as well as the goals of the employees resulting in a positive environment with everyone focused on an end goal.
I honestly believe that I can manage/motivate/make a bigger, positive impact than 90% of the managers there. I can be proud and confident in saying this and have received a great amount of positive feedback from fellow managers and employees (salary and union) to back it up.

Schools of Interest (all part time MBA programs):
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Pepperdine
4. Loyola Marymount
5. Georgetown
6. Maryland
7. Villanova

Can you give me your professional opinion on the chances of getting into any of the part time programs above? However, UCLA and USC are the main schools I would like to attend

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu May 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Dear samy803,

Based on your post, you have some great work experience, and I do think a recommendation letter coming from the steward would be helpful. Your work experience and career accomplishments are your biggest strengths, so be sure to effectively highlight those on your resume and in your essays and interviews. The only potential weaknesses are the GPA and GMAT, which are both below average for many of your target schools. I do think you have a chance at any of your target schools for their part-time programs, but you would strengthen your application if you could get your GMAT to 600+. If you did not do well on the quant section and do not have high marks on your transcript in quant courses, then this will be a big concern for many of the admissions committees. Perhaps consider taking the GMAT again?

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by samy803 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:19 pm
Thank you!