got clobbered at 650

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

got clobbered at 650

by dineshra » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 pm
took the gmat today 2nd time...a sad 650
math - 49
verbal - 29

score actually went lower from my first time..660
math - 46
verbal - 34

kinda running out of options as to what do do next ? :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cgiles01 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:33 pm
Your math looks fine, give it another go, focus on verbal, be sure to memorize Manhattan SC guide and stay positive! I believe in you!!!

Chris
Giles

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dineshra » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:27 pm
thanks chris. after taking in the real shocker, im just coming back to my senses.

i actually have purchased the manhattan sc. i been through the OGG11, V,Q guides multiple times over the past few months. i had improved my sc skills manyfold since the last time i took the test(july 2006). i scored well above the 700s in the powerprep and the gmatprep tests. im begining to fear those verbal(esp) were too inflated as many of those reappeared from the OG guides and 1000sc guides.

on the actual test i could sense my not so good performance on verbal. it was just a feeling. i spent a little too much time on the first few questions during the verbal section. my confidence level dropped after this. i got jittery knowing that i may not have time for the remaining questions. after that i answer most of the verbal questions i believe with 70% accuracy approx.

i was so close to cancelling my scores. i really wanted my 2nd time around to be the last shot. i dont know what happened. i hv a background in engineering with 3yrs work ex. engineering was a cake walk compared to this.

looks like i have to take it another time to have a decent shot any top school. not sure when that next shot should be? or what else i should be covering?

any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cgiles01 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 am
Your experience on the verbal section reminds me a lot of the feelings I had during my first go around. In preparation for my second test, I started practicing with the pressure on. All of my practice was timed. I believe that this alone was a huge contributor to my success the second go around. Keep your head up, confidence is key! Good Luck!
Giles