GMAT is like a glass of cold water in your face

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've been preparing for my GMAT since January 2, 2009 (prep course, additional math course to brush up, The official guide, flashcards, etc). I'm writing the GMAT in 8 days and I'm almost on information overload (I work full-time, study part-time, and am a mother of two).

I've been pre-accepted to the Executive MBA of my choice (the rest of my application is stellar), but the quantitative section of GMAT is like a bucket of cold water in the face. I run an executive office, have over 15 years work experience, a CGPA of 3.8/4 but when it comes to the math, it put's me in my place (I have a whole Finance Dept at my disposal!). I can write an essay that'll make you cry - verbal doesn't scare me and I've never had a problem with math but after being out of high school for close to 20 years, the math looks like complete gibberish to me.

I need only 500 to get into the program. Any advice?
Sherry

by sirrowan » Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 am
I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain! That's exactly how I felt.

Have you registered for the GMAT yet? Tried any practice tests from various sources to see how you have a handle on the material?

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Tue May 12, 2009 10:35 am
Most experts on this forum argue that, when your math skills are rusty, the best idea is to go back to basics, like digging for your old high school books. I tend to agree: most prep books out there are designed based on the principle that your basics are still pretty solid, which might not be the case if you've been out of school for long. Take the OG: although it's got tons of great practice questions, the math review is really below average.

My advice would be: check out some high school books for the basic stuff and, after building up some confidence, try some GMAT-type questions. Whether you pick Kaplan or Manhattan or anything like that is ultimately your choice, but don't ever ignore the OG!

by sirrowan » Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm
That is exactly what I am doing. I have an old high school Algebra book that I am going through. Since its review, it goes quicker than if I was learning the material for the first time.

I did this a few months ago and built up doing the GMAT math questions within a few days. But I stopped and now have already forgotten most of what I absorbed in December/January. :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by blackrobin06 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:05 am
I recently went to a Princeton review math bootcamp session. It was free and covered those basics that you need help with. You can do some research to see if there is one in your area.
"You have no idea how high I can fly"

Michael Scott
The Office

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by 4score20 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:56 pm
Try the OG- Quant book