When people evade income

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

When people evade income

by ektamatta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 pm
15.When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which causes the tax burden on nonevading taxpayers to become heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.
The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?
(A) An increase in tax rates tends to function as an incentive for taxpayers to try to increase their pretax incomes.
(B) Some methods for detecting tax evaders, and thus recovering some tax revenue lost through evasion, bring in more than they cost, but their success rate varies from year to year.
(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do not allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion.
(D) No one who routinely hides some taxable income can be induced by a lowering of tax rates to stop hiding such income unless fines for evaders are raised at the same time.
(E) Taxpayers do not differ from each other with respect to the rate of taxation that will cause them to evade taxes.

Followed by:1 members

by Mani_mba » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:04 pm
IMO A.

Legendary Member

by reachac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:27 pm
IMO C

Re: When people evade income

by kiranlegend » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 pm
ektamatta wrote:15.When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which causes the tax burden on nonevading taxpayers to become heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.
The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?
(A) An increase in tax rates tends to function as an incentive for taxpayers to try to increase their pretax incomes.
(B) Some methods for detecting tax evaders, and thus recovering some tax revenue lost through evasion, bring in more than they cost, but their success rate varies from year to year.
(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do not allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion.
(D) No one who routinely hides some taxable income can be induced by a lowering of tax rates to stop hiding such income unless fines for evaders are raised at the same time.
(E) Taxpayers do not differ from each other with respect to the rate of taxation that will cause them to evade taxes.
IMO C

if lamakers were to account of loss of tax through evasion, then they wouldn't need to raise the tax amount..

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shiraj » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 am
My Answer is C.

If C is true, then the viscious cycle won't exist.

Thankz

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by agent47 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 am
IMO C

by aroon7 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm
can some one pls explain more clearly...
--------------------------
i am back!

by jeevan.Gk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:24 am
shiraj wrote:My Answer is C.

If C is true, then the viscious cycle won't exist.

Thankz
but the question stem asks u to find a choice which if true would result in viscious cycle

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by me.prasanna » Sat May 09, 2009 7:14 am
Well understand the situation.
The vicious cycle results mainly because of more TAX evaders, because of tax evaders, government loses tax and thus in recovery it increases taxes, So if any thing that helps government not to increase taxes would provide support that vicious cycle does not occur.
Now look at the choices:

A) Certainly results in less tax revenues and government will be force to increase taxes

B) May be true but not effective as mentioned success rate varies year to year

C) True, If government finds a way to effectively evaluate its revenues will result in less tax evaders and more revenues for government.

D) Higher fines will result in more number of tax evaders.

E) Almost Irrelvent

I hope it gives some clarity.

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Sat May 09, 2009 7:09 pm
IMO - A

According to me, argument says that tax revenue is lost because lot of tax payers hide their income which in turn means loss of revenue to the goverment. What is the increase in taxes would be helpful to taxpayers to increease their pre-tax incomes, in that pay more tax payers would declare their income so in total the revenue would the same or more....

Re: When people evade income

by krishnakumarhod » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 am
I was not initially correct ,But here is my take on eliminating other choices
ektamatta wrote:15.When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which causes the tax burden on nonevading taxpayers to become heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.

"Try" is the keyword here.They may be able to increase thier income or they may not.I they cannot increase then i evade wat else to do when a person has to run a family

Keyword "success rate varies from year to year" what if it does not bring in more than it is invested in

OA as explanied by ppl above

"routinely hides some taxable income".These talk about people who always do it no matter wat the rate is

If this were it would be real funny.If everone stops paying taxes after a particular threshold persentage then it would be really bad

Legendary Member

by umaa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 pm
Can someone clearly explain why D is wrong? It makes sense. If the fines are higher, evaders won't hide their income and pay proper tax.

by GMAT Hacker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am
Pls explain why D is wrong?

by subgeeth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 am
I chose D............ pls explain

This is my understanding

The higher fines (not rate) for tax evaders will not affect the other people who pay tax.

According to C if it happens how they are going to make sure non tax payers will start paying...................
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

by vijay_venky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm
My understanding of the question stimulus goes like

The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true

This I guess is a sufficient - necessary condition in itself.

vicious cycle can result --> answer option true
answer option false--> vicious cycle could not result

vicious cycle::
TE forces LM to increase TR
increased TR means more TE and thus a never ending cycle between TE and TR.

Now because the confusion is primarily between C and D, according to the contra-positive mentioned above, a logical opposite answer should stop the vicious cycle.

falsified D: some of the people who routinely hide some taxable income can be induced by a lowering of tax rates to stop hiding such income even though fines for evaders are not raised at the same time.

The immediate question is whether this stops the vicious cycle? not necessarily.
because this is at the best not affecting the cycle.

falsified C: When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion.

whether this stops the vicious cycle ? Yes.
because this way the lawmakers will not be forced to raise the tax rates thus stopping the vicious cycle. This is directly affecting the cycle by stopping the first step.

Please correct me if I'm wrong