reapplication success rates at top ten schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Does anybody have an idea of the percentage of success that reapplicants have on reapplys. I have 15 years managerial experience 3.7 mba gpa 3.4gpa undergrad but a 630 on the GMAT Is it worth the time to take the GMAT over and reapply if a 680-700 is achievable

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
phantomrider wrote:Does anybody have an idea of the percentage of success that reapplicants have on reapplys. I have 15 years managerial experience 3.7 mba gpa 3.4gpa undergrad but a 630 on the GMAT Is it worth the time to take the GMAT over and reapply if a 680-700 is achievable
BW used to post the percent of reapplicants who are accepted, but I think they stopped. In general, reapplicants do have a higher than average acceptance rate, simply because they do a better job the second time around.
You are an individual with a very specific profile. I don' t have any stats for people like you. You have a couple of additional obstacles: you already have an MBA and you have a low GMAT. Without knowing your target programs, it's impossible to say if it's worth it for you to retake the GMAT and try again. What school are you aiming for?

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by phantomrider » Wed May 06, 2009 1:03 am
I am aiming for Chicago or Kellogg. I don't have an MBA, 25 hours of credit in the program in 1998 at Northern Il. University. I was real anxious to get started and am presently taking a class at Chicago Booth as a graduate student at large. I started taking the class during the application process. It was very distracting at the test site during the GMAT; a lot of shuffling people around with loud verbal commotion and a proctor that was hacking and coughing during the test. I scored a 630 48Q, 31V and guessed at the last 5Q and 7V questions on the test. Do they do background checks during the process? I've had some false information from an individual with the same name in the past. I am contemplating not taking a class in the summer and preparing for the GMAT. I am evaluating my chances for success the second time around and have the option of applying at Purdue Krannert School of Business

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Linda Abraham » Wed May 06, 2009 3:19 pm
phantomrider wrote:I am aiming for Chicago or Kellogg. I don't have an MBA, 25 hours of credit in the program in 1998 at Northern Il. University. I was real anxious to get started and am presently taking a class at Chicago Booth as a graduate student at large. I started taking the class during the application process. It was very distracting at the test site during the GMAT; a lot of shuffling people around with loud verbal commotion and a proctor that was hacking and coughing during the test. I scored a 630 48Q, 31V and guessed at the last 5Q and 7V questions on the test. Do they do background checks during the process? I've had some false information from an individual with the same name in the past. I am contemplating not taking a class in the summer and preparing for the GMAT. I am evaluating my chances for success the second time around and have the option of applying at Purdue Krannert School of Business
Most schools do background check on accepted applicants.

Regarding the test, how were you scoring on practice exams? If you were scoring higher than you did at the actual event, then yes you should retake. Given a better testing environment, your chances of improving are high.

You may also want to keep in mind that the PT program at Chicago and Kellogg is easier to get into than the FT program. Krannert is also a good option, especially if you are interested in operations.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook