Questions to improve application

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Questions to improve application

by wccotton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 pm
I recently took the GMAT and got a 650 (43Q/37V) and fully plan to retake the test to improve my score to something in the 700+ range. I graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in Electrical Engineering with a 3.27 GPA.

I plan on taking some courses this summer at a local university to help out my GPA and wonder if going to a name school vs a community college or smaller school really matters. In addition, what courses should I take that will help out my application?

I will have 5 years of work experience at a Fortune 500 Aerospace firm by the time I enroll for the Fall '10. I am looking to go to some top schools, such as HBS, Penn, Columbia, or Chicago. What else can I do to improve my application?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Hi WC,
Thanks for your post. There is actually a lot of debate of whether taking postgrad courses will have a significant impact on your candidacy. I think that since you are an Engineer, taking a Calculus or Stats course at a junior college or even state school is not going to have any major effect.

Instead, I would really focus on preparing for the GMAT and shooting for at least 700 if you are targeting a top 10 school.

How are your extra curricular activities? I think you would get more benefit having solid ECs rather than a postgrad course.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by wccotton » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:13 pm
VP_MBA_Guru wrote:Hi WC,
Thanks for your post. There is actually a lot of debate of whether taking postgrad courses will have a significant impact on your candidacy. I think that since you are an Engineer, taking a Calculus or Stats course at a junior college or even state school is not going to have any major effect.

Instead, I would really focus on preparing for the GMAT and shooting for at least 700 if you are targeting a top 10 school.

How are your extra curricular activities? I think you would get more benefit having solid ECs rather than a postgrad course.

Regards,

N
Thank you for your reply, you probably saved me a couple thousand dollars. I would also like to ask your opinion on something. I have heard several anecdotal stories that GMAC has re-jiggered the quant section and many people are getting lower scores on that section. Since the adjustment is still relatively new, the lower quant scores haven't had time to propagate themselves into the standard distribution. Is this true, or are people blowing smoke? I know from my experience on the test, I was getting what I thought were 700 level questions (based on my experience from the practice exams where my quant was 48 and 49) and was a little surprised by my lowly 43. Has anyone else heard anything other than anecdotal stories?

As far as my extra-curricular activities go, I was in a fraternity for four years and was the chairman for philanthropy during my time there. Post graduation, I have been active in the Washington State Democrat Party on a local level taking part in voter registration drives and such.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_2010 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:51 pm
OK. My friend talked about this after he had taken his GMAT test. But when I took the test, boy were they easy!! I was very sick, and had to complete my AWA in 35 minutes, yet I managed to score a 50 in Quant!!! I can tell you, the questions were much easier than the 700-800 level questions at Manhattan. So, either I was lucky or the quant questions were easier.