Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jacobstusa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 am
Last edited by jacobstusa on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by HelenF » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm
Hello and thanks for your message.

You've onnly been working a couple of years, so you won't be expected to have the same amount of professionsl leadership expereince as someone further along their career. What will be important is demonstrating your leadership potential by showing how you have taken the initiative in what you've done, made an impact, made a difference. Leadership isn't just about leading people or being in a formal 'leadership' position. School's will also be looking at your invovlement in leadership outside work. President of a Fraternity is a formal leadership position, so I would expect you to be able to draw on examples from this. You don't say anything about what you are doing outside work now, and there may be experiences you can draw on ftom that.

Business classes are not a prerequisite, so don't worry about not having one. What concerns me more is why you want and need to do an MBA right now. This is an important question for all applicants, but for someone so early in your career you need to communicate why the schools should admit you now rather than in two or three years time when you've had more experience. Working for another couple of years would give you time to actively develop yourself as an MBA candidate - eg. seek out opportunities at work, build up your outside interests. For the 'top' schools in your list, this would make you a stronger candidate.

I hope this helps.

Helen
Helen Foster | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com