Took GMAT - Scored 640, beaten by verbal

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Took GMAT - Scored 640, beaten by verbal

by gviren » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:36 pm
Took the exam last Saturday. Was really disappointed. I was targeting 680-700 but scored only 640. The break up is

Math - 48
Eng - 31
Overall - 640

I prepared from Kaplan, OG and Manhattan for SC. I am thinking of retaking the exam in another 1-2 months. Any suggestion on improving my verbal score.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jrbrown2 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:39 pm
I'd suggest reviewing a score report from PR or MGMAT after taking one of their practice exams. That way you'll have an idea of which specific sections you're especially weak in.

From there I'd recommend rereading the manhattan gmat review books, doing the official guide questions. If you remember alot of the answers from the OG then don't waste your time redoing those questions. Afterwards just do alot of 1000CR/SC/RC questions until you've achieved an acceptable and consistent hit rate.

The key to improving your hit rate is to review all the questions that you've answered in a practice session. That way you'll get a better understanding of why some answers are wrong and why some are right. Plus the mistakes that you've made before will become ingrained in your head and you'll remember not to make them again

Just my $.02...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Congrats

by kats6990 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 am
Hi

Firstly congrats on ur score. Secondly, is Quantative (Esp: DS) as tough as sometimes the practice questions can get. What kind of questions did you get?

by gviren » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:32 am
JRBrown

Thanks for your reply. I am kind of thinking on those lines. Thanks for re-enforcing that. Are there any other books that are recommended for Verbal? How about LSAT?

As you said, I will definitely spend more time on reviewing my answers; perhaps my preparing grid and analyzing the type of question that are often wrong. I also plan to spend more time on BeatheGmat. This site is too good and has helped me a lot in my maths prep

Thanks
Last edited by gviren on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Congrats

by gviren » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 am
[quote="kats6990"]Hi

Firstly congrats on ur score. Secondly, is Quantative (Esp: DS) as tough as sometimes the practice questions can get. What kind of questions did you get?[/quote]

Kats

Almost everyone initially face problem with DS; but with more and more practice, DS improves

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jrbrown2 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:56 pm
Honestly, I have no other books to recommend for verbal beyond the MGMAT books.