High GMAT, low AWA, high TOEFL

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

High GMAT, low AWA, high TOEFL

by 888 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:26 am
I would like to apply to a the full-time MBA course beginning September 2010, however before sending my application I would like to check a few details with you first.

I have recently completed my GMAT test, scoring 720 overall (95%), with 40 points for verbal, 48 points for quantative and 3.5 points out of 6 in analytical essay writing.

In the TOEFL test I scored 105 out of 120.

I would like to know whether you think that with these results I would stand a reasonable chance of being accepted, or at least of my application being considered by the university.

Although I scored very highly overall, I am considering re-taking the GMAT in order to obtain a higher score in the analytical essay writing section (AWA).

My mother tongue is French, but I have a high level of English which is reflected by my TOEFL score. I have a masters degree in Engineering and am currently working as a team leader in the IT department of a UK bank. I have 8 years of professional experience, the last 4 of which have taken place in the UK.

Please let me know whether you think I would stand a decent chance of being accepted by a top university, or whether you would advise me to further improve my scores before applying.

Many thanks for your time and help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:28 pm
Hi 888 - most top programs do not put much weight on your AWA score, as they will get a sense of your writing from your essays. As long as you score above a 3, you are in good shape.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep