Columbia Admissions - Accel vs. Early Adm vs. normal Fall

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello everyone... a couple of questions about Columbia Business School Admissions...

How does the selectivity compare between the 3 options?
Accelerated January program vs. Fall Early admission vs. normal Fall admission?

Also, is there a normal 2-year program that starts in January? The only January term option I saw on the website was for the accelerated program. If there is, then how does selectivity for that term compare to the other listed above?

*by the way, I am an entrepreneur/family business man, so the accelerated program would be suitable for me just as well as the normal 2-year program.

Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bigeater1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:10 am
anybody?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:37 pm
B - the short answer is they are all VERY competitive, esp in this economic environment. For a long time, the rule of thumb was that applying in the early rounds 'might' give you an ever-so-slight advantage. But in the last 2 years, with applications at an all time high, its pretty much even.

Regarding the Accel program - they like candidates who have a strong sense of their career past post-MBA, many of whom will go back to their former employer/business or profession.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by howell » Sun May 17, 2009 5:53 am
This may not be exactly appropriate for this particular forum, but I was wondering if anyone out there who applied early decision to Columbia this year could tell me whether they were notified early enough (dinged I suppose) to still submit Round 1 apps to other schools?

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Sun May 17, 2009 10:57 pm
Dear Bigeater1,

Thanks for your post. I'll echo Nikhil's thoughts on the level of competition in recent years at the top schools (b-school apps have been up across the board, etc). Having said that, I would still suggest that there is a difference in admissions-difficulty across the three options at Columbia.

In short, J-Term typically offers the greatest admissions odds. Next in line is the Early Decision option, which offers much better admissions odds than the regular decision round.

As to your question, there is no two-year option that begins in January for the MBA program at CBS. To learn more about J-Term and their admissions policies, you should check out this interview with Clear Admit's Deena Maerowitz (a former CBS admissions officer):
https://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/04/colu ... le-online/

Finally, as to Howell's question - the timing of an ED response depends solely on when you apply. In other words, if you apply to Columbia at the absolute start of the ED cycle, you should theoretically have a response by early October (just in time to pull the trigger on R1 applications), but you will need to have prepared those apps in advance, since the CBS result won't give you enough time to start from scratch on new applications, etc. Due to the fact that the timing is somewhat close here, most folks just apply to Columbia in the late summer/early fall for ED, and then submit other applications in R2 (January deadlines) if they aren't admitted at Columbia.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.